Color Flow Vs. Royal Icing

Decorating By Tinabug1979 Updated 8 Mar 2009 , 6:06pm by brandiwyne

Tinabug1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinabug1979 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 12:57pm
post #1 of 9

All this time I was thinking CF was RI. So my question is, Since I live about 50 miles away from anywhere that sells color flow mix, Can I use different consistencies of RI to do the same thing, If nothing, but for practice? Any info would help. Thanks!

8 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:05pm
post #2 of 9

I prefer RI anyway and they are very similar so I would just use RI.

Tinabug1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinabug1979 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:12pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you Kiddiekakes!

Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 9

You can use RI - I have done it and it works well.

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:23pm
post #5 of 9

I've used color flow once or twice. I have noticed it has a little more shine to it when dry. But other than that, it seems to be the same.

I've noticed so little difference that even after using both Royal Icing and Color Flow, I'm still trying to figure out what the "real" difference is that they would create a different product.

Does it make it a little more sturdy? Does it help the colors not to bleed? (if you have a solution for that one, I'd LOVE to hear it. Or does it just add that sheen?

brandiwyne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandiwyne Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 4:02pm
post #6 of 9

Can someone anwser this question....is color flow or RI studier?

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 4:10pm
post #7 of 9

Color Flow is sturdier because the CF mix is pure egg whites, whereas the meringue powder is cut with other ingredients.

You can make RI sturdier by using straight fresh egg whites rather than meringue powder, though....or just use more meringue powder in your recipe.

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 4:13pm
post #8 of 9

I have found ingredients of color flow:
Ingredients: Dried Egg Whites, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate.
Sodium lauryl sulfate is used as degreaser, there will be only minute amount in it.
I would say it doesn't matter if you use thin royal icing with 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of citrus juice or white vinegar and / or pinch of salt per 1 cup sugar in it . It does the same for RI - cuts grease and adds strength.
I have some old wilton books - no word about color flow as brand - there is color flow made with RI there.

brandiwyne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandiwyne Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 6:06pm
post #9 of 9

Thx for the clarification

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%