Cake For 100 People?

Decorating By kelbear Updated 21 Apr 2017 , 2:05am by doneil

kelbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelbear Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 4:39am
post #1 of 11

I have been reading on CC for a while (first time posting) as i have started decorating cakes and will be taking the Wilton course 1 starting next week. I have offered to make a cake for my great aunts 100th birthday party coming up in 2 weeks. I need it to serve approx 100 people. I would like to do a 2 tier round cake. What sizes of cake pans would you recommend using to make it large enough to serve 100 people. I am thinking 14 inch on the bottom and 10 inch on the top (both double layer so approx 4 inch in height for each tier). I will be supporting it with wooden dowels and it will be covered in fondant.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated - i have made a few cakes and they have all turned out decently but nothing has been for such a special occasion and i want it to look good and taste good too!

Thanks
Kellie

10 replies
tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 5:39am
post #2 of 11

Welcome to CC!

According to the wilton chart, you are right on target for servings. The 14" and 10" should serve 116. I personally like the look of taller cakes. Have you thought about making smaller tiers but doing three of them? A 12", 9", and 6" would also serve 100. Whatever you decide, I'm sure you will do a lovely job. You'll have to post a pic when it's done.

kelbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelbear Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 12:50pm
post #3 of 11

I thought of doing a 3 tier but i dont know if i should try a 3 tier on my first "big" cake. I would like to but i am slightly afraid to at the same time. Is doing a 3 tier much harder than a 2 tier?

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 4:38pm
post #4 of 11

I didn't think it was much harder, especially if it is covered in fondant. I find it easier to stack the tiers with fondant because you can gently touch the sides.

doneil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doneil Posted 20 Apr 2017 , 12:34am
post #5 of 11

Where can I buy a cake for 100 people. I can't make one but need one may 27th

aldonza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aldonza Posted 20 Apr 2017 , 3:07am
post #6 of 11

You got this kellie! Happy birthday to your aunt! wow! 100! I like that100 people for her 100th bday!

@doneil ‍ there are thousands of cake bakers on this site and I'm sure any one of them near you would be happy to oblige. I guess the hard part would be choosing which one because there is so much amazing talent on here!

doneil Posted 20 Apr 2017 , 8:17pm
post #7 of 11

Thank you so much! So now I guess the question is: Is there anyone near the outer banks that can do this?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Apr 2017 , 9:45pm
post #8 of 11

outer banks of where?

aldonza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aldonza Posted 21 Apr 2017 , 1:52am
post #9 of 11

@doneil ‍ Outer Banks North Carolina? Like  Roanoake or Frisco?

doneil Posted 21 Apr 2017 , 2:03am
post #10 of 11

Manteo NC near Nags Head

doneil Posted 21 Apr 2017 , 2:05am
post #11 of 11

Yes. Manteo which is Roanoke Island

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%