Baking In Advance

Decorating By JayRaye Updated 3 Mar 2009 , 2:16am by KimmysKakes

JayRaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JayRaye Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:15am
post #1 of 6

I took on more than I should have and have two cakes delivered Friday morning (parties are Sat). What is the earliest you would bake these cakes?
FYI - one is a 11x15 sheet and the other is a 2 layer 10" round... may have a 6" on top of that. I haven't decided yet.

Thanks in advance!

5 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:27am
post #2 of 6

I would bake on wednesday then ice and decorate on Thursday so you can deliver on friday morn.

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:28am
post #3 of 6

from my readings here, i know you can bake looong before you decided to decorate the cakes, AS LONG AS you freeze the cakes in your freezer.

to freeze a cake, you will need to saran wrap it with few strips of saran. make sure it is sealed from air.
or you can use what they call something called 'press & seal' or something (i can't recall the product name as i've never used it, nor have i seen it sold here) instead of saran, which according to reviews, works better than saran.

if you are not freezing them, then you have to go with how long can your cakes normally be good outside the fridge? it really depends on your recipe, really, and the environment the cake is in.
i've had cupcakes survived in good taste outside the fridge, for 4-5 days, but they were iced with BC on top.

JayRaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JayRaye Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:59am
post #4 of 6

I will be using all BC.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:14am
post #5 of 6

You definitely can start baking any time yuo want and fz them. You will be surprised at how much more moist the cakes will be icon_smile.gif
Yes, wrap while warm (not hot) and fz them if you have the room. Maybe just the 10"ers? You can even put the 2 layers together w/filling before you wrap them well in plastic wrap. If it is for a short time......up to one week I have just put them into a lg ziploc fzr bag.
The night before (or early in the day) you want to work on them, just remove from the fzr to kitchen counter to defrost.

KimmysKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmysKakes Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:16am
post #6 of 6

I freeze all of my cakes beforehand. I bake them as early as the prior Sunday for the following weekend's deliveries. As soon as they are out of the oven, I wait 10 minutes, remove them from the pans and first wrap them with Glad Press & Seal then aluminum foil and put them right in the freezer. They stay very moist and I have not had a problem doing it this way. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%