Boston Cream Pie (Cake) - Wwyd?

Decorating By Vivalawvegas Updated 5 Mar 2009 , 7:13pm by Vivalawvegas

Vivalawvegas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vivalawvegas Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 6

I'm making a Boston Cream Pie cake this weekend. Normally I just cover it in ganache and call it good but I have to do very specific decorations that won't work on a ganache background.

So would you cover the cake in ganache as usual and then cover in fondant? Can you even put fondant over ganache?

Or add the ganache as part of the filling (ie: layer ganache and vanilla cream in between each layer) and then just do BC on the outside under the fondant?

I'm leaning toward the 2nd one as I've never done ganache under fondant before.

5 replies
sweetcakesbydesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbydesign Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 7:16am
post #2 of 6

I would do the second one, most definately thumbs_up.gif

I use this choco. ganache filling and it's thick enough but also creamy:
It's kinda like a whipped ganache

9 oz. bittersweet chocolate,chopped finely (u can use choc. chips)
1 cup(16oz) heavy whipping cream

1.Heat cream in sm. saucepan on medium heat-bring to boil- pour over chocolate pieces in a medium size bowl IMMEDIATELY

2. whisk - let cool- (whisk until light and fluffy for a fluffy whipped filling)

I've also used dark choco. chips ...1 word...YUM icon_biggrin.gif

Hope this helps

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 8:20am
post #3 of 6

You can definitely cover the cake in ganache and then use fondant, if you prefer that look rather than having BC on this particular flavor cake. If you go that route, I'd do whipped ganache rather than just pouring it on - the thicker layer of ganache will serve as real "icing" and also be easier to get completely smooth before your fondant your cake (however for my whipped ganache I use the standard 1:1 ratio of chocolate to cream, plus I add 1 tbsp butter to give it a little depth). If you then refrigerate the cake before adding fondant it will be soooo easy to put fondant on, ganache firms up HARD in the fridge!

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 6

I like ceshell's suggestion of using whipped ganache as the icing under the fondant rather than poured ganache. Sounds delicious, yum!

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 6:34pm
post #5 of 6

Yep, I would use a spreadable or whipped ganache, toss it in the fridge to firm up, and cover that with fondant. In fact, I HAVE done that. It works great! Just make sure your fondant is quite thick (if it's white or light in color) so the ganache doesn't show through. thumbs_up.gif

Vivalawvegas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vivalawvegas Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 7:13pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for all of the advice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%