Need Help With Pricing!!!

Decorating By Genny_yummies Updated 3 Mar 2009 , 2:15am by Genny_yummies

Genny_yummies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Genny_yummies Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 6:07pm
post #1 of 7

Okay, so I just posted my latest cake yesterday and is my very first MMF covered, stacked cake. Now I have people asking me for prices....
I was about to say $220. Is that too much? Too little? It took me about 12 hours total, including the 4 hours of baking time. Per my calculations this cake would serve 72. It was a 10", 8" and 6". Also, do I charge more for the fondant bow? or is that included in the price? Please any insight would be appreciated.
I'm attatching a pic.
LL

6 replies
sweet1122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet1122 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 7

I can't help you with pricing, but wanted to say its a BEAUTIFUL cake! Here's a bump.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 11:09pm
post #3 of 7

Most people charge $15-$20 extra on the bow. Great cake!! I think the price is good. That would be $3.05/slice.

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 11:10pm
post #4 of 7

Here's my opinion on pricing... it depends on where you are, the going price in your area, and how much you WANT to charge to make it worth your time. People in bigger cities can charge a lot more than some of us in smaller, more rural areas. You need to find out what the going price is in your area, determine your expenses and what you feel your time is worth and charge accordingly. There's always going to be someone on this board who says they'd charge 4x what you'd charge, and someone who'd say (or not admit to it, but think it) they'd only charge half that. I charge quite a bit more than my area allows only because I don't care if I get the order or not.

I also think that giving pricing advice across the board is difficult because people are at such different levels of skill and experience. I've seen some cakes from people who've been decorating for 20+ years who should be paying people to take their cakes! I think you did a great job on the cake and you should be able to charge whatever the higher end of the market in your area allows.

Personally, I start at $300 for a 3-tier cake ... more for fondant. I charge a minimum of $25 for a bow topper in addition to the cake. Good luck!

Genny_yummies Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:34am
post #5 of 7

Thanks j-pal for your advise. I really need to look and see what the going rate around here is. I live 2 blocks away from Orlando, FL.
DH says he couldn't see himself paying that much for "just a cake" no matter how pretty it was, "it's something that doesn't last, and will just be eaten..." He makes me so mad. He knows how long it took me to make this cake. Anyway, thanks for letting me know I'm not crazy for charging this much, I was thinking the lower I would take is $180.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:42am
post #6 of 7

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Hubby's are all from the same mold, aren't they? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

"It's just a cake". Oh sure. Try to borrow his screwdriver to stir your paint and see if he thinks "It's just a metal stick". icon_biggrin.gif Or use his golf club to hammer a nail and see if he thinks "but it's just a hard piece of metal .... and it LOOKS like a hammer!"

THIS .... http://blogs.nbcuni.com/ross_blog/24%20Homemade%20cake.jpg .... is "just a cake".

The stuff on cakewrecks ... THOSE are "just a cake".

He's what my hubby used to call dumba$$ drivers: DWHUA. Driving With Head Up A$$. icon_lol.gif

Guys think a doughnut WITH GLAZE is high-eatin'. They have no clue. NEVER ask a man about a cake price. Never. (Unless his name is Doug and he's a CC member! icon_rolleyes.gif )

Genny_yummies Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:15am
post #7 of 7

indydebi--You make me laugh so hard, I almost choked on the chocolate I was eating--- You are so right though---I should use some of those lines.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%