Teaching Baking-Where To Start?

Business By stelly Updated 3 Mar 2009 , 6:49pm by DNBunny

stelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stelly Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 2

People often ask me for ideas or tips on baking. While talking to a friend about this one day, we came up with the idea that I should start teaching baking classes in people's homes. I think it could be a really fun thing for a group of friends. I already have people interested. Question is, how do I do it legally? I have no idea where to start.
I'd really love any advice you have! I really want to do this but I'm feeling sort of lost right now. HELP!

1 reply
DNBunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DNBunny Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 6:49pm
post #2 of 2

Hi stelly, I'm not a lawyer but I don't see any barriers for your teaching baking classes. This would be a different type of business than selling cakes commercially. You'd have to add the extra income on your taxes of course. This sounds similar to those old Tupperware parties. If you and your friends can agree on a price for your classes, then go for it. If you want to be official, get a business license, but I would wait on that to see whether it will be just a one-time class or you will do this as a part-time business.

An alternative is to teach baking and decorating at a community college class (continuing education). You could reach a larger audience like that plus they would supply the classroom and organization. You'd get a little bit of money for that, plus they would help with advertising.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%