Making Mexican Gumpaste

Decorating By taxi4two Updated 3 Mar 2009 , 5:32am by bananabread

taxi4two Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taxi4two Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 3

I hope I'm in the right forum.

I'd like to make my first batch of this for my patchwork cutters but I've a couple of ingredients questions.
First, and I'm sure I know the answers but it never hurts to ask, can you use Tylose C in place of Gum Tragacanth?
Second, is there much difference between Icing Sugar and 10x Powdered sugar?
I have two recipes and one calls for 10x powdered sugar, the other for icing sugar.

Also, if you've got the time, Marion Frost calls for:
"3x level 5 ml teaspoons of gum tragacanth" and I'm not sure how to read this. Any and all help will be really appreciated!

Taxi4two

2 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 3

I have read that Tylose can be subbed for gum trag measure for measure, but I have never tried it in a formula myself. A teaspoon is approximately 5 ml, so you would use 3 standard "American-style" teaspoons. I think that 10x can be used instead of icing sugar. I have read that they are the same product and I have also read that icing sugar is finer and has no cornstarch added icon_confused.gif . Maybe someone will enlighten both of us icon_lol.gif

bananabread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bananabread Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 5:32am
post #3 of 3

I hope the following paragraph will be usefull for you.

Powdered sugar is sugar ground to a powder and usually mixed with an anti-caking agent such as starch. The coarseness of the grind is given by the numbers, such as 10x for the finest, and 6x for standard. A brand of sugar when tested side by side with another may have a different coarseness to it, easily detectable by tasting and sometimes by touching. Powdered sugar also goes by the names 'confectioner's sugar' and 'icing sugar'. Powdered sugar is great for using in recipes where the sugar needs to be fully blended, like icings, frostings and the like, and for creating decorative marks on cakes and pastries.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%