Sweetex Vs Crisco???? Help !

Decorating By thepinklotusstore Updated 4 Mar 2009 , 5:12pm by vdrsolo

thepinklotusstore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thepinklotusstore Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 1:25pm
post #1 of 30

Hey there my dear CC friends!
Forgive my newbie-ness lol
But I want to try Sugarshack's Buttercream recipe
(http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-5163-Sugarshacks-icing-and-Tips.html)
It calls for hi ratio shortening (sweetex,etc), all I've worked with is Crisco...I did a bit of research n I know all the "technical" aspects of it (hi ratio will hold more liquid n this n that)
But Sweetex is not available locally.... I would have to order it online...
So I was wanting you guys opinion, is it worth it to order sweetex n pay so much more for it??? I can get 3 lbs of crisco here for $3.80 n sweetex online is about $8 for 3 lbs + Shipping!!!!
I wonder how the recipe would come out just using crisco???
Would it be better than just whipping up the BC with a fork or handheld mixer like I usually do?? Please help icon_razz.gif
Radha

29 replies
Cakelady232 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakelady232 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 30

In my opinion, it makes a huge improvement especially if it is humid or warm where you are.

It should be available at a cake decorating store. I believe it is also called high-ratio shortening. It is always available at Gordon Food Services in a 50# block. Use it for any shortening use....it last about six months at my house.

kathys90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathys90 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 30

I don't use anything but Sweetex for my BC! The texture is always so smooth.

I think it's definitely worth the money, but, the cake supply stores in my area carry it.

Good luck in your research!
Kathy

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 2:54pm
post #4 of 30

I don't have access to Sweetex or any other high ratio shortening (too expensive for shipping) so I used Crisco to make Sugar Shack's buttercream and it worked well for me. I used a little less liquid to make mine and couldn't see a big difference in what mine looked like and what I saw on her videos. I really loved working with this buttercream and will never go back.

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 30

The general consensus is that the hi-ratio shortening leaves less of a greasy feeling in your mouth. I don't use sugar shacks (haven't tried it yet), but I use hi-ratio in mine and did notice an improvement. Definitely use your hand mixer.

Judi

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:09pm
post #6 of 30

I believe hi-ratio is the way to go - if you can get it easily. If you're a home baker doing a cake here and there, no need to go to all that trouble.

In the DFW area, specifically in Plano, Cakes Amore will sell you theirs for about $2/pound. They're a custom cake shop with a little bit of retail cake stuff (mostly pans and Wilton doodads). Not a bargain, but if you HAVE to have it, it's better than paying shipping on a 50lb cube! icon_smile.gif

So if you have a cake shop in your area, you could call and see if they'd sell you some. Never hurts to ask!

sugarlover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlover Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:15pm
post #7 of 30

Sweetex can be found at GFS Marketplace. It only comes in the 50lb box. I'm not sure where you live but I think they are statewide. If you want a crusting BC use Sweetex if not use Crisco. Hope this helps.

ptanyer Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:25pm
post #8 of 30

My buttercream will crust with Crisco whether I use Sugar Shacks recipe or the one from Serious Cakes on Youtube. Just watch the amount of liquid you use.

thepinklotusstore Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 9:10pm
post #9 of 30

Thanks so much for your help gals!!! I really am just a beggining decorator from based at home, but I'm always looking for ways to improve my skills!!!
And the price of the sweetex (plus the shipping) just really is a killer...
Thanks for the idea though arosstx!!! I will check around in my local cake shops, n see what happens icon_biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptanyer

I don't have access to Sweetex or any other high ratio shortening (too expensive for shipping) so I used Crisco to make Sugar Shack's buttercream and it worked well for me. I used a little less liquid to make mine and couldn't see a big difference in what mine looked like and what I saw on her videos. I really loved working with this buttercream and will never go back.

And thanks so much ptanyer, I needed to hear that from someone that has tried the recipe with crisco lol I think I'll try it and if I see no difference between it and my regular buttercream I'll search harder for sweetex lol Oh! and u mention videos??? would u post a link or 2 to sugarshack's videos? Are they on Youtube or CC??
Thanks again ladies!! I appreciate the input so much!

thepinklotusstore Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 9:16pm
post #10 of 30

Oh and ditto ptanyer! My BC also always crusts with crisco, pretty well I might add! Itg does really all just depend on how much liquid u put in it!! I've just seen really perfect and shiny BC cakes, and I asked and was recommended sugarshacks recipe so thats why I want to try it...

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 9:31pm
post #11 of 30

pinklotusstore, I am in the same boat...just a newbie and want the best product I can make. The hi-ratio is wonderful...if you can get it locally. I can't so I use crisco or the walmart brand of shortening. I too debated the shipping charges and finally decided that for now, the crisco and wally world stuff work just fine for my needs. Now I do have a stash of both sweetex and alpine for some upcoming family cakes I will be making icon_lol.gif

I have four, yep, four bc recipes that I just love....Sugarshacks is wonderful...I also love Serious_cakes, and Indydebi's. Then I went and tried buttercream dream and love that one too...sp far its hubby's fav. he loved the crust with the creaminess underneath. He actually ATE I cake I made! I can eat ALL of them with a spoon! That is terrible that I love BC so much! icon_rolleyes.gif I have a hard time deciding which one to make they are all so good. Using the hi-ratio makes them even better.

thepinklotusstore Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 9:49pm
post #12 of 30

Wow rocketmom1985 four recipes that are good?? that's awesome! I have one LOL the one I learned iin wilton classes and it's ok but I know there are better ones out there... Is the wally shortening as good as crisco u think??? I get a pretty good deal on crisco though cause I get it at the Army commisary on base, I love their prices!!! lol And u mentioned that u have a stash of Sweetex? did u get it online?? where?? hehehe thanks !!

jdelaney81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelaney81 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 9:59pm
post #13 of 30

I am so thankful for this post! I have been wondering the same thing, thepinklotusstore. I am still very much a newbie, but I am constantly trying to improve what I do.

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 10:20pm
post #14 of 30

OK now, is this true? Crisco changed when it lost its transfat.....so is it better to use an off brand that still has transfat in it or crisco.....is that more like high ratio shortening? Does anybody have any ideas on this? Thanks

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 10:31pm
post #15 of 30

I try to use only hi-ratio shortening mostly because I think it gives a whiter buttercream and I can't stand that greasy mouth feel from the Crisco. Bleah! I just found an AGS (American Gift Shops or something like that) cake store here in San Antonio and they sell hi-ratio shortening so I'll be able to get it locally. I was having to drive to Austin to get it from a cake shop.

I've used Sweetex, Alpine and Super Kwik Blend hi-ratio shortenings and they're all good. I do believe that my buttercream is much better using any of these vs. Crisco.

Surely there's a cake shop in Fayetteville or Raleigh that will sell you the hi-ratio shortening. Good luck!

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 10:36pm
post #16 of 30

I'm not a professional nor an expert, and I'm pretty new, too. I'm what they call a hobby baker. I'm writing to say that I got really curious one day while practicing and experimenting and decided to see for myself if there was a big difference in the hi-ratio shortening and Crisco. I bought a can at WalMart, same size can as Crisco, that said 3% (I think) trans fat on the label. I think it was 'Rich's', but I can check for sure if you need me to. Anyway, I made a batch of buttercream with that, and guess what.....I did see a big difference in the final product. It was much creamier and definitely smoother in general. It tasted fine. (I used Sugarshack's and didn't change anything from the way I've done the recipe with Crisco.) The main difference that I saw was the crusting. Boy, did it crust well. Mine crusts with the Crisco, too, but this was a noticeable difference. So the point is.....yes, I believe there is a difference. I can imagine that buying a 'better' product like Sweetex would show even more difference. HTH!, and welcome!! pinklotusstore and rocketmom!!!

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 10:38pm
post #17 of 30

Oh, and also welcome! to you, too, jdelaney81 !! I didn't mean to leave you out when I said welcome to the other two newbies! icon_redface.gif

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 10:43pm
post #18 of 30

I hear great things about sweetx but I cannot get it here either, so i use crisco in sugarshack's recipe and it turns out smooth and creamy. If it is not easily found I would just stick with crisco. I was just in a restaraurant supply store and found a shortening I have nvr heard of call Admiration and was wondering if this could be hi-ratio? Does anyone know how I might be ablt to tell?

thepinklotusstore Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 10:53pm
post #19 of 30

Cool sweetjan! ur post gives me very good insight, hmm I'm torn now LOL And oh yeah newnancy hit the nail about the whole Crisco transfat thing!! If anyone knows what that whole mess is about, PLEASE do tell!! icon_biggrin.gif I really don't have too many cakes to make at this point though ( just moved to a new city n state, no friends or family) so It's hard for me to be able to experiment! goshhhhh

ptanyer Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 12:50am
post #20 of 30

pinklotusstore, here is a link to SeriousCakes on You Tube with her buttercream icing. I have used it several times and as long as you make it with minimum liquid, it will crust nicely:

These are just a few of what is available online. Your head could bust wide open with all the inspiration these ladies provide!!! icon_biggrin.gif

ptanyer Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 12:53am
post #21 of 30

sweetjan, would you mind checking on the shortening you bought at Walmart. If your's has it maybe mine in NC does too.

Thanks,
Pam

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 4:37am
post #22 of 30

I bought my hi-ratio shortening on line...

http://www.thebakerskitchen.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=88

Great service, reasonable prices and shipping.

The Walmart brand label shows it does have transfats...Wally also carries Bake-rite which I have read here that some folks use successfully also. I usually get my crisco at Sams Club.

I should change my name to buttercream addict.... icon_wink.gif

Oh, one more hint...the last time I made sugarshack's bc, I used the Walmarat Great Value brand powdered sugar...it was grainy and unuseable...who needs a 5# bowl of practice icing? icon_redface.gif The answers to my post about the problem were varied...some said it was the sugar, some said not.. icon_confused.gif Just make sure you use 10X powdered sugar I guess.

mygirlssweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mygirlssweet Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 6:30am
post #23 of 30

I forked out a lot of money to have hi ratio shortening ordered for me, a generic brand 50lb, and I hated it! I use only Sugarshacks recipe. I don't use Crisco since they changed so I use a generic store brand here in Canada. I get way better icing with the basic shortening and am so dissappointed with the hi ratio stuff. With the hi ratio I got oodles of air bubbles and I didn't like the texture. I get perfect icing with the shortening. I am now trying to find someone who want my hi ratio or it will soon be in the garbage.

thepinklotusstore Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 11:15am
post #24 of 30

Thanks again girls!! And I will totally check out the youtube videos, thanks ptanyer! I've seen most of toneedna's videos, seen serious cakes, but never really saw a buttercream recipe on there hmmm.... Oh also, does anyone know about Rich's bettercream? Yup I spelled it right BETTER-Cream it's supposed to be some liquid that u can make icing comparable to buttercream (better supposedly) and I heard it's sometimes sold at Sam's Club....If u gals know about it please post icon_biggrin.gif hehehe

marcimang Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marcimang Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 11:52am
post #25 of 30

I am in Fayetteville also. I used to buy my high ratio at a restaraunt supply store downtown til I got two bad boxes in a row and they told me they couldn't keep doing this. I was like " Yeah I want to drive all the way down here to open a rancid box of shortening" Needless to say I haven't bought anything else from them!
Anyways the local cake shop does not sell it but I have been buying the Aldi brand that has 3 grams transfat- it seems to crust the best. SOmetimes I mix it with Crisco that I but at Sams CLub.
You cna also try the Rich's they sell it at the commissary right by the brakfast food and the Morning Star products- Hope this helps - Marci

thepinklotusstore Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 5:42pm
post #26 of 30

Thanks so much marci!!! yeah I've been to Crafts Frames and things and even if they did sell it, it would prolly be a ridiculous amt of money!!! Gosh they want like $19 for the 2lb bucket of Satin ice!! N well Michaels, Ac moore and Hobby lobby don't carry the good stuff lol Only Wilton, And I pretty much have every single Wilton product now hehehe
One question though, u bought crisco at Sam's??? is it cheaper than at the commissary ($3.89 for the 3 lb container)??? I hv a Sam's membership but since my hubby is gone a lot n my kids are little I don't really go very often...Well I would love to keep in touch with u!!! It's so cool that u are also veggie!!! Would love 2 exchange ideas! icon_biggrin.gif

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 6:05pm
post #27 of 30

Just a note on purchasing Sweetex. As far as I know, it only comes in 50 pound boxes. I bought a 5 pound container online and what I received was a white bucket with Sweetex written on the top in orange marker and what looked like a big scoop of shortening thrown in the bucket. They didn't even try to make it look neat.

I have no idea if what I received was really Sweetex at all. It wasn't rancid but it was disgusting and made my icing very heavy and it coated your tongue. Ewww!

So I would be very wary of anyone online offering to sell you less than 50 pounds of Sweetex because you won't know what you are getting.

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 6:07pm
post #28 of 30

thepinklotusstore: check out the "Bettercream Fun" forum topic... it has great info and ideas for using Bettercream.

thepinklotusstore Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 6:23pm
post #29 of 30

Thanks KathyTW hehehe I'll check it out icon_biggrin.gif And OMGosh KathysCC I can't believe that happened to you!! I had no idea that Sweetex was only sold in 50lb containers!! I saw a website offering a range of sizes, from 3 to 50!!! Wooo so glad I checked with the gals here at CC first!!! Thanks again! icon_biggrin.gif

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 5:12pm
post #30 of 30

Yes, Sweetex is definitely worth it. Make sure you are getting original Sweetex and not Sweetex Z (it's new with no transfats). I haven't tried Sweetex Z (be curious if anyone has).

Baker's Kitchen and Into the Oven are good places to buy online.

I also highly recommend using a stand mixer, not a hand mixer. My buttercream (It's similiar to Sugarshacks except I use less shortening and I have my own flavorings) does not become light and creamy until about 10 minutes of med-high beating. I then scrape the sides and turn my stand mixer on stir to get out any air pockets.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%