Fondant & Carved Cakes

Decorating By katielb Updated 4 Mar 2009 , 10:21pm by vcm_9

katielb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katielb Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 11:16am
post #1 of 5

Ok, so i covered my first carved cake with mmf on the weekend and I really struggled!

Can anyone offer advice or direct me to a thread which details how to cover a carved cake with different coloured fondant pieces.
One colour was hard enough but there was no way i was going to attempt 2 or more which is a bummer cause the cake lost some effect.

Im guessing there has to be a method/process to it so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

Katieb

4 replies
Tinabug1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinabug1979 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 11:23am
post #2 of 5

I guess depending on ur cake, You could maybe cover it all in white fondant, then (like i said, depending on the sizes of ur colored pieces) Then lay the colored fondant down. I am new to working with fondant, but i like it alot. Maybe someone with more expeirence can give you much better ideas. icon_wink.gif Good Luck!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 11:24am
post #3 of 5

what were you trying to cover? are you fine doing square and round fondant cakes?
i think its just down to experience - you might be doing different shapes with carved cakes, but you will learn to recognise the likely problem spots, and any signs of impending fondant doom you will be better able to tackle it before it becomes a real problem. and also learn how to cover up any problems!
good luck withthe next one icon_smile.gif
xx

katielb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katielb Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 6:13am
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the advice ladies.
I was covering a truck so it was mainly square corners and many different levels...awkard and tricky!!
I'll keep practising icon_smile.gif

vcm_9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vcm_9 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 10:21pm
post #5 of 5

could you wrap around like a ribbon? and then do cut outs for the tops (does that make sense?)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%