My First Cake Disaster

Decorating By moxey2000 Updated 5 Mar 2009 , 6:38pm by annacakes

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 4:30am
post #1 of 8

I had a cake to deliver this past Saturday and it was about 30 minutes away. I rarely ever deliver that far where I live, plus I was going to have 4 people in the car so I had to use the trunk. My trunk is very large and spacious, plus the rear seats lay down. I asked my DH to a. clean out the trunk, b. lay the seats down, c. start the car and turn the A/C on high.

When I go outside with the first of 4 cakes (for a 4 tiered wedding cake) the trunk is only partially cleaned out icon_mad.gif , the trunk lid is open with the sun shining into it icon_eek.gif , the car doors are open and the car isn't running icon_mad.gif . I realize that the sun has now turned the trunk into an oven, but there isn't time to change things. I get the cakes into the trunk, have one back seat down, everybody in the car, A/C blasting. We get to the wedding venue and fortunately the only cake with a problem is the smallest top tier. The cakes were vanilla butter cake with bavarian cream filling and indydebi's buttercream. The top tier was a little bulged on the sides, but not bad and I was able to fix it.

The wedding was a very casual beach wedding and the reception was in a wooden building that is a beachside restaurant and bar. The floor in the reception/dining area is wood planking, like a dock sort of. I set the cake up on the table, added the borders and the shell decorations and I was so happy with the way it turned out icon_biggrin.gif . Then I was sitting at a table to the side and happened to look over after people had filed in to the buffett line for dinner. I realized that the cake was leaning heavily icon_cry.gif . I believe it was the movement of the floor and the table as the people walked past the cake that shook it just enough to cause it to start to lean. I got the bride and groom to take their cake picture quickly then the groom and I caught the cake as the bottom tier finally gave out! icon_cry.gif I quickly disassembled the cake and cut it. It was served and everybody loved it icon_rolleyes.gif , but I was so embarrassed because everybody knew it was my cake icon_redface.gif !

I've attached a photo of the finished cake. I didn't get one of the disaster, but I'm sure one will surface in a day or two!
LL

7 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:36am
post #2 of 8

Oh no I'm so sorry this happened to you icon_sad.gif I'm sure the hot car and uneven floor didn't help the matter any. At least everyone enjoyed it though icon_smile.gif

What support system did you use?

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 8

I used the plastic dowels, which is what I always use. I've learned my lesson though icon_redface.gif and in the future I will definitely scrutinize the cake table, floor, and location before I set up! Live and learn, I guess. I would love to use the SPS system, but I have to mail order everything and I'm afraid I wouldn't get it back and I'd have to reorder it all the time.

Thanks for offering me a little sympathy. It always helps when you can tell someone and you know they understand thumbs_up.gif .

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 8

Good save! Your cake looks lovely.

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 8

Im with you sister! I had the exact thing happen to me but it was the venue that was hot. It stayed up for 6 hours before the top slid off. If you look at my pics it is the white tiered with purple flowers vining down the cake. My icing was all buttercream, it was a melting mess. Your cake is lovely! But I know exactly how your feeling. icon_wink.gif

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 9:04pm
post #6 of 8

I'm so sorry that happened to you. The cake in your photo looks beautiful. It was perfect for a beach wedding.
I'm glad the couple was able to get pictures with the cake. It sounds like everyone enjoyed eating it.

-Debbie B.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 6:21pm
post #7 of 8

Your cake is beautiful. And DH's, don't they just drive you nuts sometimes??

annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 6:38pm
post #8 of 8

Okay....never, never, never trust the husband to get the car ready. Been there, done that. I do it all myself, exactly how I want it. Mine would refuse to put on the air because of energy wastage!! Bless his conserving wee heart.

Always check the table. Been there, done that too. Employees at the venue don't care a smidge about your cake going down. I ask the bride ahead of time to please order a sturdy table placed in an appropriate place for the cake to go on. No card tables or rickety surfaces. For my nieces wedding I almost had to get into an argument with manager of the club but did not back down.

Secondly, order the SPS and write on the top of the plates "Please return to decorator" and write your phone #. I too must order by mail and I have found this works...my SPS has come back both times I've used it. I had to go get it but no one threw it out. BTW. Excellent cake!! Sweet job.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%