I Need Small Sugar Gems....how Or Where?

Decorating By FeGe_Cakes Updated 2 Mar 2009 , 10:33pm by weirkd

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 1:13am
post #1 of 16

I want to replicate a hat which has swarovski crystals. I have found some sugar gems online using isomalt but they seem too big. I need some smaller ones. Probably the size of the medium dragees. I would love to make my own using a mold...Is that possible?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

15 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 2:45am
post #2 of 16
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 2:50am
post #3 of 16

There used to be a supply company online that only sold sugar jewels?! icon_confused.gif I have to search for it, but I did have these saved...

http://www.ber yls.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=300

http://www.cakewalkchicago.com/cakeclub.html (scroll down to pic!)

http://www.fancyflours.com/mixed-colors-cake-jewels.html

And if you do decide to make your own, I've heard people use Jolly Ranchers. Very clever! Here's a recent thread on the topic...

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=613739&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 2:54am
post #4 of 16

Hobby Lobby has gem molds. I don't know if that is exactly what you want. I enjoy using mine. In fact.....I'm using them tomorrow!

Beth in KY

FeGe_Cakes Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 2:58am
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakin

The should be small enough. I guess you may be looking for 5 mm?
http://www./index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=300&products_id=7591&zenid=499d476e3953878396b58a602e885cba

Malakin..that link did not send me to the sugar gems. Can you tell me what you searched for ..or what label did you click on on the left side of the website.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:01am
post #6 of 16

kathy scott, at sweetexpress.net, has the molds and the sugar to make gems. i saw her do a demo on this at our dos... she will be demoing this at the ices convention.. i think she sells on ebay also..hth

FeGe_Cakes Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:02am
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethola

Hobby Lobby has gem molds. I don't know if that is exactly what you want. I enjoy using mine. In fact.....I'm using them tomorrow!

Beth in KY

Did you get it from the candy making aisle? If so, I have that one. I want something so they actually are the size of diamonds.

If not, what aisle did you find it?

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:04am
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeGe_Cakes

Quote:

Beth in KY

Did you get it from the candy making aisle? If so, I have that one. I want something so they actually are the size of diamonds.

Got mine on the candy aisle. Sorry! GOOD LUCK though!

FeGe_Cakes Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:07am
post #9 of 16

These look exactly what I need...but 1/2 inch is way to large. I probably need 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch in diameter.

http://www.beryls.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=300&products_id=7591&zenid=65e92d282b0e481dfe6c826570f5ce12

But would like to attempt to make my own..because this is not for a paying customer.

FeGe_Cakes Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:10am
post #10 of 16
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeGe_Cakes

Quote:

Beth in KY

Got mine on the candy aisle. Sorry! GOOD LUCK though!

Thanks..I am going to need it. I always have these GRAND ideas..but trying to avoid spending all my money. icon_cry.gif

saramachen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saramachen Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 5:55pm
post #11 of 16

On globalsugarart they sell Assorted Gem Set 2 Mold by First Impressions for $15.99. Makes 65 gems in assorted sizes (from 1/16 to 1/2) so some would be to big, but there would be some the right size...

mandice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandice Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 9:45pm
post #12 of 16

there's a specialty foods company called Qzina.. they carry sugar diamonds made from isomalt. the smallest ones they carry is 0.4" but you'd have to buy it in bulk.. it's 200+ pcs i think

sounds like a lot, but the package is really tiny because the diamonds are pretty tiny

hth icon_biggrin.gif

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 9:54pm
post #13 of 16

I have bought the one's from Fancy Flours and they are the size of a dime. So depending on what your looking for, I think their too big. There used to be a home-based company that sold them in different flavors but I dont believe she is in business anymore.
You can get the molds from Global and also from First Impression molds. I have used isomalt to make my own. The only thing is they have a lot of airbubbles in them or they end up having the sugar crystalize and their not transparent. So if you know of a way to have the sugar not do this, then I would say to stay away from trying to make your own with sugar. You can use gumpaste and they come out much better but if your trying to go for the real gem look, then you will have to use sugar or gelatin? maybe?

FeGe_Cakes Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 10:20pm
post #14 of 16

Thanks for all the input. I was thinking of using gumpaste and maybe dusting them with pixie dust or luster dust. It might give me the visual look I am going for...but i so wanted something that was spot on. I guess I either shell out the money..or change my design.

FeGe_Cakes Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 10:31pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandice

there's a specialty foods company called Qzina.. they carry sugar diamonds made from isomalt. the smallest ones they carry is 0.4" but you'd have to buy it in bulk.. it's 200+ pcs i think

sounds like a lot, but the package is really tiny because the diamonds are pretty tiny

hth icon_biggrin.gif

I went to their website. Thanks!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 10:33pm
post #16 of 16

I have it actually saved in my favorites. They call them cake jewels. Here is a link:
http://www.fancyflours.com/site/cake-jewels.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%