Box Cake Vs From Scratch

Decorating By connerart Updated 8 Mar 2009 , 6:38am by Creative_chika

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 1:54pm
post #61 of 70

ceetee,

your comment was so funny and so spot on! I was laughing! I have another question for scratch bakers. What would you do if someone specifically asked you for a boxed cake? Also, thread seems to be leaning toward, scratch is not the same as baking from a box. That seems obvious to me. However, as scratch bakers, if someone is a HORRIBLE baker, but a wonderful decorator, amazing decorator, would their work be worth less because they did not bake from scratch? I think that is the heart of the thread and the it keeps getting swerved around. I think if (and it is a totally hypothetical if) Sylvia Weinstock or some other such cake designer, used doctored mixes, it would not devalue the amazing work she does. And personally, if I was paying for Sylvia, I would want to be sure that the cake was moist! LOL! Of course, that is me being silly, but you get what I mean. I forgot who said it on this thread but I agree 100% that people on here who sell their cakes are charging for their decorating skills and expertise. If someone wants artisan bread, they go somewhere else! LOL!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 4:27pm
post #62 of 70

If someone was looking for a mix I would refer them to another baker. I know a few who use mixes (and I respect them just as much as decorators as those who I know who are scratch bakers). I am not a mix baker so I don't have recipes to suit them.

I think many people would agree that beautiful cakes are beautiful cakes regarldess of what's inside. icon_smile.gif

chrissypie Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 4:59pm
post #63 of 70

I think you are right! thumbs_up.gif

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 5:15pm
post #64 of 70

Dkelly.......I'm a transplant from the Northeast, living these past 13 years in Virginia. I can't believe it's been that long.

Chrissypie.... There is obviously a market for both scratch bakers and box mixers. I only make for family and friends right now, but yes, if someone wanted a box mix cake, I would happily recommend they go elsewhere. And yes, I can see the arguement that you're paying for the decorating, but I personally would not pay for even a beautifully decorated cake that wasn't from scratch. That's just my preference. I don't really like the taste and if I want something beautiful that doesn't taste good to me.....well, I could buy a painting or a piece of pottery or for that matter, a beautifully decorated dummy cake, right? Obviously, there are people that feel differently and that's great.......keeps a lot of different people happily in business.
Oh, and I do believe Sylvia Weinstock is loudly adamant about the fact that she does not use box mixes. I've never had a cake of hers, so I can't vouch for the moistness! icon_smile.gif They could be dry as a desert. They are pretty though.....

chrissypie Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 5:27pm
post #65 of 70

I getcha giraffe. I guess everyone has different tastebuds! I am guessing those who grew up having scratch prefer those ,and those who grew up with boxes are used to them. Not necessarily, but possibly! I agree, if you hate box mixes and aren't proud of what you made, I guess it is better to send the customer elsewhere. I have the opposite fear, that someone will ask me to make a scratch cake and I will most certainly need to send them on their way! Unless they really do want styrofoam! I can't bake for anything!

giraffe11 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 5:48pm
post #66 of 70

Oh well, Chrissypie, I wouldn't worry overly much if I were you. I think people should bake what they like and charge what the market will allow them to charge.

I think we tend to get so worked up about this topic, because we put so much of ourselves into it, take it all so personally and deep down we all want people to like us. Love me.....love my cake. icon_lol.gif
Everyone has their personal likes and dislikes and they will never be the same, so we all just have to learn that that's OK.
If an artist paints something that I think is hideously ugly, but the neighbor 6 doors down gives the artist $30,000 and hangs it on his wall, does that make one of us wrong?
Heather

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 9:47pm
post #67 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by giraffe11

Dkelly.......I'm a transplant from the Northeast, living these past 13 years in Virginia. I can't believe it's been that long. ..

Hey, I'm in the Northeast! Maybe we do know eachother icon_cool.gif I'm in MA.

giraffe11 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 1:15pm
post #68 of 70

Nope. I've never lived in MA. Although, I love to visit Boston.
DH and I think about moving up to MA, VT, NH area from time to time. We would just like to escape these sticky Southern summers! And the snow doesn't bother us overly much.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 11:26am
post #69 of 70

Four pages of Mix vs. Scratch threads:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-596517-.html

HTH

Creative_chika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_chika Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 6:38am
post #70 of 70

I think Dr the box mix, even though I'm still searching for a good cake recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%