Fondant: Cracking, Tearing & Crepeing

Decorating By farnum22407 Updated 2 Mar 2009 , 1:54am by BlakesCakes

farnum22407 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farnum22407 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 5

I have experienced many problems with fondant when applying to the cake, such as cracking usually followed by tearing and some crepeing (elephant skin syndrome!) around the base.
I have determined that this happens usually with the coloured fondant so it's possible the colourant has softened the fondant. I've tried adding PS but that didn't make much of a difference. Any ideas what I can do to avoid these 3 frustrating problems. Is there a "Trouble Shooting" forum or site - in case of this do this type thing?

4 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 8:46pm
post #2 of 5

when you add color to fondant ... it does dry it some.. you have to add crisco... just little at the time.. and also work fast rolling it out and applying it to your cake... if you have to leave it for just a little bit.. you need to cover it with some saran wrap..don,t add powdered sugar.. hth

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 9:01pm
post #3 of 5

What kind of fondant are you using? The color shouldn't make a difference because it's such a small amount, unless this is red or black fondant. Are you rolling out with cornstarch? The only time I ever had elephant skin was when I tried cornstarch. Sorry I dont have an answer for you!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 10:38pm
post #4 of 5

Try a different fondant. Some perform better than others. I use a semi-homemade choc. fondant that performs like a dream.

I'm happy to try and help if you need me to.

Jen icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 1:54am
post #5 of 5

When you color fondant, sometimes you wind up kneading it quite a bit--and you can overwork it. You may want to knead in the color and then let the fondant rest for several hours in a zip top bag.

Right before rolling it out, knead it again with some crisco (white vegetable fat) on your hands. Avoid powdered sugar (makes it sticky, stiffens it, and can dry it up a bit) or corn starch (a drying agent and it can ferment in leftovers).

If you roll it out on a vinyl or silicone mat on a smear of crisco, you should have many fewer problems.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%