Bridal Show Cake Info

Business By sweetcakes Updated 3 Mar 2009 , 4:44pm by FromScratch

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 5:46am
post #1 of 12

do you put a sign infront of your bridal show cakes stating how many it serves and what it costs?

11 replies
lasidus1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lasidus1 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 6:00am
post #2 of 12

i don't sell cakes, but i would just put the number of servings, and they can ask about price

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 6:11am
post #3 of 12

I do. I put the size of the tiers... how many it would serve... and what it would cost. I printed out nice place cards and put them on the base boards. It looked really great and people appreciated being able to look and see the cost and it also saved me from answering the same questions over and over again.

pastrychef22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrychef22 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 2:25pm
post #4 of 12

Personaly I do not put anything on the cake saying what it cost or serves. I like that people have to ask me about the price because it usually starts up a good conversation. I am in the prosses right now of being in a local home show. Now i have wedding cake sand birthday cakes there. I do not have anything saying about there prices on the cakes. I have spent the last 2 days talking to people non-stop about the cakes that i have on display.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 2:36pm
post #5 of 12

I put out cards. I actually buy blank thank you cards and then print out sticky address lables and place them on the front of the card. That way, they are a 'tent'- I list the price for buttercream and fondant. Its funny because even with the cards, lots of people still ask how many and how much.

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 2:53pm
post #6 of 12

I also post price and servings. The shows are usually too busy to answer questions like that. I would rather spend my discussion time selling my product.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 3:36pm
post #7 of 12

I haven't done it simply because I've never thought about it in time for the show. One of those things that I get to the show and think, "Crap! I forgot to make those signs!" icon_cry.gif

I see pro's and con's on them, though. If you put a sign that says, "Serves 155" then brides think that's the ONLY size that cake comes in. If I ever actually remember to make the signs, I'm going to add verbage that says "Serves 155 as shown ... can be adjusted for larger or smaller events"

LIkewise, putting a price on, for example, a very ornate cake with lots of extras ("Serves 155 ... $675") could cause a bride to back off and think "I can't pay $700 for a cake", when in reality she only needs cake for 100 and she's not looking for something that ornate. On the flip side, it gives them a dose of reality on what an ornate "Duff" cake does cost!

If I had to pick one, I would say I think the signs by the cake add an extra touch of information and I like them.

FromScratch Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 3:43pm
post #8 of 12

I make a point of telling people that the cakes shown are just a model and that they can be scaled up or down to suit their needs. That they aren't only available in one size. I was so busy at the little show that I did... it was nice to just be able to talk up my product. Of course many did still ask, but it did help to not have everyone ask. icon_smile.gif

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 3:53pm
post #9 of 12

I buy the little 4 x 6" acrylic frames at Walmart, then type up a nice sign that includes:
1. Name of the cake
2. Number of servings in this display
3. Price per serving
4. Total cost for this cake.

I slide the info in the frame and set each sign in front of each cake. I have these on display in the store at all times also. When I am running to get ready for a show, I just grab the sign along with the cake. When we change prices, I just replace the paper information and place it back in the frame. The frames set up by themselves and don't take up a huge amount of space.

You can make one 5 x 7" or 8 x 10" sign that gives general info....cakes can be made different sizes, we can customize with your colors, etc....

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:06pm
post #10 of 12

i did my bridal show yesterday and used little wallet size silver photo frames with the cake serving size and price, infront of all my cakes. People still asked how many that served and what would that cost so i pointed them to the frames as i couldn;t memorize it all. It worked very well.

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 3:06pm
post #11 of 12

I use the cards with the cake size and servings "as shown". I don't put on the price.

So some suggestions:

-NAME your displays! icon_lol.gif I know it's weird, but use those sappy names! icon_biggrin.gif
-PRINT out any and all signage on a computer!!! NO HANDWRITTEN SIGNS!!! thumbs_up.gif

Have fun!

FromScratch Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 4:44pm
post #12 of 12

I agree with no hand written stuff. I purchased some do-it-yourself place cards at Staples and printed them out with my computer. I also put 'as shown' on my cards too. That helps to open up a dialogue about how they can be made to suit any sized wedding.

I also resisted the snappy naming of cakes for a long time, but I did it for the show cakes. People really do like it... go figure. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%