Hats Off To Home Bakers

Decorating By Cakenicing4u Updated 2 Mar 2009 , 11:45pm by Cakenicing4u

Cakenicing4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenicing4u Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 1:22am
post #1 of 17

You must have the patience of saints to be baking at home- regardless of the size of the kitchen. I'm at my wits end this week after 200 cupcakes, 10 pies and now 5 1/2 sheets that I thought were for next sunday and are for tomorrow at noon. I REALLY hate my kitchen-- hated it before I became a baker and will hate it forever and ever from this day forward.

So ya, icon_smile.gif Hats off to the home bakers out there. I can't wait to get out! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

16 replies
karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 1:30am
post #2 of 17

You poor thing! Hats off to you for taking on all of those orders! I do NOT think I could handle that!

I have to say that I have a pretty decent size kitchen and think that it is almost too big, that is, until I start a cookie or cake project! Once my project starts I am ready to bring in more tables to use for "counter' space!

Cakenicing4u Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 4:45am
post #3 of 17

I finally have the fourth and fifth half sheets in the oven! Now I'm onto the icing and I'm going to break down and call my grocery store to see if I can swipe some icing from them- I'll be up all freaking night at this rate!! Also had to do a grocery run because hubby drank all the milk! Grr ya my counter space including my glass stove top is all of five feet long and two foot deep so I too have an extra 4 ct table set up in my "dining" area which is really not that big either. I give! No orders for next week! I'm closed!!!!!!!

miasuzzette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miasuzzette Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 4:54am
post #4 of 17

Wow, Thanks for the comment. My, You must be going Crazy & still awake, I will Scream out loud to feel relieve, Good luck thumbs_up.gif

Margie from Ct

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 5:01am
post #5 of 17

I feel for you! Can't totally appreciate what you are going through though.

I'm just taking a break from my ds cake. I hate piping grass!

Cakenicing4u Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 7:12am
post #6 of 17

Ya it's 2am and I'm off to bed but I'm awake and worried about getting them done! I hate mornings as is, so ugh. What aday! I cannot wait to get into my real shop and use real equipment like a clear 8 foot long three foot deep staineds steel table!!

fidos_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fidos_mom Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 7:33am
post #7 of 17

Wish I was closer. I would jump in and help! Even if it was to just clean and move things around. It is so helpful to have someone assisst you! I became addicted to it.

Hope all is well. And we are wishing you well. icon_biggrin.gif

miasuzzette Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 7:54am
post #8 of 17

That's How I started, Helping My Friend & Then got into liking to bake & learned and still learning, I would have done the same. Helped her out. That's nice of you to offer.

Margie thumbs_up.gif

Cakenicing4u Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 1:31pm
post #9 of 17

Thanks ladies! I have an exchange student from japan that helped me with the first two but she puttered out and ended up sleeping on the couch all night, LOL I have to work on training her!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 10:13pm
post #10 of 17

People don't have a clue how hard we work!!!!!

Best wishes to you -

Jen icon_smile.gif

Cakenicing4u Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 11:35pm
post #11 of 17

signed, sealed, delivered! yahoo!

Couldn't have done it without CC!! I was exhausted and stumped on the decorations for a cake that was to say 'Job well done' for my aunt's office, and had no idea what they do, so no hints on decorations... I hate doing all flowers on cakes like that, but balloons felt too young for an adult office crowd... luckily I had a cake in my saved photos that saved the day! Special thanks to Cakery for this photo... it saved my day! I did it in primary colors, slight differences on each one, ribbons in the top corners, and flowers in the lowers... THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=385223

I'm still closed this week, LOL for now, anyway!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 11:43pm
post #12 of 17

WOW! Can you say FREEZE ahead ? Why are you trying to bake and decorate,etc. in the same day !? I just couldn't do it !

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 11:51pm
post #13 of 17

I think its great being able to work from home instead of spending time at a shop and trying to figure out what to do with my kids.

My biggest frustration is when I want to get some gumpaste pieces made or something done and if my hub is not around to help with the kids, and then the kids nag and bug me and I SO lose patience with them. So that is the only downside for me...having the distraction of the kids when I am trying to work. But I did work in a shop for a year and working from home does beat the outside hours of a workplace.

I do plan each week out, baking/freezing at the beginning of the week and decorating daily until my projects are done.

And I should add that my hub is usually a great help with the kids. thumbs_up.gif

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 12:00am
post #14 of 17

It is hard at times not having enough room to do tons of projects. Overall I love working from home! All I can say is bake ahead and make your icings ahead so you are not stressing yourself more then you have to.

Cakenicing4u Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 1:09am
post #15 of 17

Freeze? Ha! I barely have enough room in my tiny fridge to hold personal groceries and perishables, let alone 5 half sheets! As I said, I hate my kitchen!

Now, once I get my shop up and running, I'll have three larger fridges to use and an upright freezer! Plus an extra of each if I can find room for them! Then, I can bake in bulk and freeze ahead. This was just a particularly rough week!

miasuzzette Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 9:13pm
post #16 of 17

I have a Question, If I Need to make a Cake for a Saturday, How long before, you make it & would you freeze it, the same day. You make the cake. & Will you take it out a day or two days before, Thank you icon_surprised.gif
Thanks for your respond. I don't have anyone to help. I had to make four cakes, Then, I felt overwhelmed. Can some one help me. Thank you thumbs_up.gif . I love baking. I'm still learning. Lol, Just like a baby icon_wink.gif

Thank You
Margie from Ct

Cakenicing4u Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 11:45pm
post #17 of 17

I plan to bake on Mondays or Tuesdays and freeze as soon as it's cool, wrapped tightly in Saran wrap. I'll pull it out on the day I plan to decorate it, let it thaw while I get set up and get boards, boxes, colors etc ready.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%