Toot Toot! (Tooting My Own Horn!)

Decorating By emrldsky Updated 8 Mar 2009 , 10:18pm by vcm_9

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 32

I am so proud of myself. Instead of waiting until next weekend to do EVERYTHING for a baby shower cake, I started on some of the elements today.

What do you think? (They are now in a dark, dry room, in boxes to avoid fading.)

And please ignore the stuff on the table...I'll have a nicer picture when the cake is iced and such next weekend. icon_smile.gif

I really think working on these items today made everything much easier, to the point where I enjoyed myself, instead of rushing. I think it also made things turn out better than they would have. icon_smile.gif

31 replies
bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 10:28pm
post #2 of 32

emrldsky, you sound a lot like me. I am always rushing, rushing, rushing. And when you rush...things don't come out right, you mess things up and have to redo them, and overall it's just no fun at all.

I'm really trying to turn myself around and be a work ahead, plan ahead, organized type person but it is an uphill battle for sure. Today I got my dates mixed up and had to rush out and do a whole cake, start to finish, in 3 hours. Wow. I did it, but I can't say I want to do it ever again.

BTW, you are right, it really did pay off to start ahead. Your shoes are lovely and your cake board is awesome!!! Which shoe pattern did you use?

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 32

Nice work! Isn't time management a wonderful thing? icon_biggrin.gif

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 10:30pm
post #4 of 32

Gorgeeeeous!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so glad you had the time to devote to these this weekend, it shows. I can't wait to see the final cake! I really love the board. I hate just doing plain jane boards. I wish I would spend more time earlier in the week on them.

Did I say I love this. Can't wait to add it to my favs! icon_biggrin.gif

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 10:31pm
post #5 of 32

ok first of all the shoes are adorable. I assume that's your cake board and I just love it.

Your right. It's so much easier if you break things up into managable elements and wherever possible, work in advance. It is supposed to be fun after all.

Oh and congratulations on only 3 lbs leftt oward you goal.

Wayda go! thumbs_up.gif

emrldsky Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 10:38pm
post #6 of 32

I used the Jem cutter that is the shoe pattern here:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_300213.html

I was just browsing around intotheoven and globalsugartart and came across the cutters and couldn't pass them up. I had planned on laminating the patter there, but the cutters would out wonderfully.

And yes, that's the cake board. The cake itself will be butter cream, but I wanted to add some pizz-azz to the board. I mean, the shoes are totally cute, but the board really brings everything together.

I already know what I'm going to do with the cake! I saved the fondant in those colors and I'll be adding the circles to the cake, but it will have a dark brown strip of fondant as the boarder. It's based of the mother-to-be's baby crib set.

And thanks for the grats on my weight loss goal. icon_smile.gif It just goes to show that getting your health under control, taking care of any emotional issues, and just DOING it really pays off. icon_smile.gif

I will probably update this thread when the cake is done (probably Friday or early Saturday)! And definitely post to my photos.

Ya'll are so supportive!!!

jlynnw Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 10:39pm
post #7 of 32

did not notice the weight line! TOOT TOOT! I was too distracted by the shoes and board!!! icon_redface.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

jlynnw Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 10:42pm
post #8 of 32

oh no you don't! You can't tease like that, you will HAVE to post the photo to this thread for those of us will oldtimerz, I might forget to look and lose out icon_cry.gif

emrldsky Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 10:43pm
post #9 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnw

oh no you don't! You can't tease like that, you will HAVE to post the photo to this thread for those of us will oldtimerz, I might forget to look and lose out icon_cry.gif

lol, I didn't mean to tease! Of course I'll update the thread when it's done! And if it's not too long, I might just PM everyone, icon_lol.gif

jlynnw Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 10:46pm
post #10 of 32

Thank you thank you thank you! icon_razz.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 10:58pm
post #11 of 32

very pretty... love the colors... i make projects ahead of time also...it makes the day of decoration so much better. not as stressed

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 11:09pm
post #12 of 32

Totally adorably cute and awesomely hip! GREAT job!

And KUDOS to you for not procrastinating. I usually procrastinate and kick myself later. Decorating (especially making shoes and such) is so much more fun when you aren't under time pressure, isn't it? Good job getting yourself to make them early.

Can't wait to see that final cake! It's going to be adorable!

saramachen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saramachen Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 11:32pm
post #13 of 32

I love the shoes! They are fabulous.

I too decided to get a head start on a big cake for next weekend.. I baked all the layers of my 4 tierd topsy turvy which i will put in the freezer tonight! And i started the topper and tomorrow im gonna make my fondant and do the cake board! So much easier when you start early!

I can't wait to see the finished product.

ShabbyChic_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 11:42pm
post #14 of 32

Looks beautiful, I can't waith to see the whole cake!! I know how you feel, actually the last cake I made I did the same thing, I started doing things ahead of time and I actually enjoyed doing the cake, my DH hates when I make cakes, he says I get really moody and overwhalmed (sp?) and it's true, because I just rush so much and I have to stay up so late to finish.

So, good for you, I gues we all can learn something new everyday, even if it's just learning to plan ahead!!

Mrs262 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs262 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 11:47pm
post #15 of 32

Very nice! I would love to see the finished cake, too! Those shoes made me say "awwwww", lol.

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 11:50pm
post #16 of 32

You SHOULD be proud! The little shoes are so cute, the board is too. I adore the lettering of the name...nice work. And only three pounds to go-yippee!

Brontecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brontecakes Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 12:09am
post #17 of 32

You toot away. As loud and long as you like! Sometimes you just need to blow your own trumpet especially if you have done something that you feel proud of. And you do! Great work, your little shoes are gorgeous and the colours on your board are wonderful. icon_biggrin.gif

ivgotahalo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivgotahalo Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 12:54pm
post #18 of 32

How did you do your letters? I hand cut letters for a jersey cake but they were block letters. They didn't turn out that nice. You're look AWESOME!! I love the background of the letters too!

emrldsky Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 1:52pm
post #19 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivgotahalo

How did you do your letters? I hand cut letters for a jersey cake but they were block letters. They didn't turn out that nice. You're look AWESOME!! I love the background of the letters too!

I actually "cheated" a bit and used the Wilton Letters and Numbers gum paste and fondant molds. I actually broke one ( icon_cry.gif ) but it wasn't too bad. They're still usable. icon_smile.gif

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 2:09pm
post #20 of 32

You did a wonderful job, and you should be proud of yourself. Can't wait to see the final cake! You're very inspiring, thank you!

tamarawagner99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamarawagner99 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 2:16pm
post #21 of 32

Congrats on all, Jade! The lettering, shoes, and board are all gorgeous, and I can't wait to see the finished product.

Let us know when you've made those last three pounds go away too...you are already an inspiration!

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 2:23pm
post #22 of 32

Awwwww! That's so pretty! I love the color combo and the shoes are just precious! icon_biggrin.gif

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 2:33pm
post #23 of 32

Looks like that's going to be a great cake. I love the color choice, the shoes are to die for and the board is great too! I can't wait to see the picture posted!

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 2:40pm
post #24 of 32

I can't wait to see the finished cake! I love the shoes and board!!

cookie_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 2:48pm
post #25 of 32

Congrats on getting things done in advance, I'm sure that feeling of accomplishment alone has got to feel wonderful!

And you did a fantastic job on everything! The board, the shoes, the lettering, goodness, the cake is going to be incredible!!!! thumbs_up.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 10:12pm
post #26 of 32

I hope to see the whole cake, your prepwork is adorable!!!!

Yes, it's a GOOD thing to do as much as possible ahead.

Best wishes -

Jen icon_smile.gif

emrldsky Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 7:02pm
post #27 of 32

You ladies are so wonderful!!! Thank you!!

I want to make the cake now, but I know I have to wait. I'm just SO EXCITED to do it!

Can't remember the last time I had this much fun. icon_biggrin.gif

emrldsky Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 3:13am
post #28 of 32

All right, here we go!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1326603.html

Enjoy!!!!

jules96 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules96 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 5:17am
post #29 of 32

I love it, just added to my favorites. You did and incredible job and I'm glad you started early. it seems to make you feel better, I also hate feeling rushed and I often am. Great job.

emrldsky Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 12:11pm
post #30 of 32

Aww thanks! I just had so much fun on this cake..more than I've had in a long time. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%