Filling Help. How To Keep My Cakes From Bulging.

Decorating By misroxy73 Updated 28 Feb 2009 , 9:29pm by skaggs1

misroxy73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misroxy73 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 4

Hello,
I was wondering Just HOW MUCH filling to put between cake layers? I like thick "goodies" in the middle, so how do i make it so my filling doesnt bulge under my fondant or Buttercream? my cakes look great until they have settled a bit, then they start to slide a bit. what am i doing wrong? Do i need to limit my inside filling? Just how much can you put in or is there something to add to make it FIRM, so it will not just bulge out while decorating? I need something to stand up to the weight & pressure of custom cakes....help please..

3 replies
chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 4

misroxy73,
Pipe a dam of very stiff buttercream around the inside edge of your layers, Add your filling to the top of the dam and it won't bulge. This will help prevent seepage and anything oozing out when you place your next later on top.

Just make sure your dam is a pretty thick consistency, the buttercream for this should be thick enough to almost hand-roll a rope. Pipe it on using just your coupler.

HTH

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 8:46pm
post #3 of 4

I agree with chilz822. Make stiff buttercream you can even add some cake crumbs to it, that helps. I have also learned to give your cake plenty of time to settle. I try to fill the cake and crumb coat the day before. This gives the cake time to settle.

HTH

skaggs1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skaggs1 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 9:29pm
post #4 of 4

What I do is put a stiff dam then fill, after I stack my cake then I put them in a xlarge zip lock bag to settle usually the night before or early in the morning when I plan to decorate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%