3 Tier Wedding Cake

Decorating By pipe-dreams Updated 28 Feb 2009 , 10:13pm by indydebi

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 6:14am
post #1 of 4

OK, so this woman wants me to make a 3 tier wedding cake iced in buttercream. She just wants it plain, nothing on it but icing. Basically, she wants to put the chocolate seashells on herself. How much should I charge for that? It's not a ton of work, but still, it's a wedding cake. It takes time to ice smooth and everything. She didn't say how many people yet, but I told her I need to know how many she needs it to feed, then I can quote a price from there. What like $3 a slice for plain cake?? I thought it was really weird request so IDK what to charge? Thanks so much for any help. Also, how would she even attach the shells? Wouldn't she need to "glue" them on with bc or something? TIA

3 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 7:04am
post #2 of 4

Charge your usual base price, nothing less.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 4

I agree...Charge whatever you charge for your base price. You'll still have to bake, ice (smooth) and stack the cake, she's trying to cheap out thinking that she can put the decorations on herself. You might want to offer to stick the shells on for her, or you could sell her a bag of icing to use as glue icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 10:13pm
post #4 of 4

yep. same price. I also have explained to brides that when they want a "simple" cake ... no borders, just iced, blah blah blah.... that they are causing me MORE work than doing a decorated cake.

So if you're one who charges according to the design (I'm a flat-priced person .. no extra charge for 99% of the design elements), charging the same price for this cake is justified because it IS more work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%