Edible Images, Question

Decorating By 2txmedics Updated 28 Feb 2009 , 4:48am by veejaytx

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 4:11am
post #1 of 5

Ok...got mine in the mail. I played with one, someone here said I would be able to see through them, thus tracing a picture with edible pens...wrong. Couldnt so I wasted one.

But when described to me, I was under the impression that it was onion thin...actually it has a thickness to it, like ahhh hmm...a baby wipe maybe...Now this is suppose to lay on the b/c and melt into the cake...correct?

So if it does, it shouldnt been seen after it does except for maybe a very light outline...so what if your using it on choc....the icing sheets are white..will they show up white? PLEASE DETAILS ...HOLD MY HAND AND EXPLAIN THIS TO ME...dummy here...and you all thought that the only cake dummys were the one's you iced.

4 replies
cecerika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cecerika Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 4:22am
post #2 of 5

Great Question!!! I want to know too. I've been thinking of buying a scanner for edible images.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 4:27am
post #3 of 5

well I got lucky. Honey bought me a very nice camera...expensive for my bday...got a free scanner/printer...epson...then I got another smaller camera later on for easy jobs...got another free scanner/printer....

Left them packed in the closet now almost 1yr. after all I have a scanner/printer already. so Ive been on CC now for 1yr...and Im getting into more and MORE cakes...studying like crazy.

I read both printers I have same models...CAN BE USED FOR CAKES!!!! so now, Ive just ordered icing sheets and colors...IM READY!!!! ...lol

phoufer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoufer Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 4:33am
post #4 of 5

It doesn't melt into the cake, it just lays on top. I thought it was supposed to melt into the icing too. Thinking that it would melt into cake, I did the icing blue, big mistake on my part, I ended up having to cut around it. I have always had to add a border around it like a picture frame. You can see what I mean in my pics, the wiggles cake, batman etc. Hope this helps.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 4:48am
post #5 of 5

I have a Texas Hold 'Em cake in my photos, example of the edible image on chocolate icing. It works, but is better with dark colors in your image. The white part will still be more or less white, but will darken, as you can see.

The image sheet sort of absorbs the moisture/oil from your icing so it blends into the icing to a certain extent.

I'd suggest printing up some small pictures and practicing with those on small cakes (or make a collage, something like my open book cake) so you get the feel of working with the sugar sheet photos and not waste so much ink or the sheets.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%