Ugh ... It Was Pretty Until I Did What They Asked :(

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 2 Mar 2009 , 2:21am by eriksmom

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 1:12am
post #1 of 16

My friend is throwing a big party for her dd's 10th birthday, and wanted me to make her a two-tier cake and mount nail polishes and lip glosses on it (spa theme). I hate using non-edibles on my cakes, but she was sovery excited aboit having the grils just pick off the make up from the cake, that I agreed. I offered to make it in the shape of a makeup bag, so we could at least play it up and incorporate it a bit, but no .... she wanted the two-tier cake.

She wanted it big and colorful and wacky. So I made it, and I was actually really digging it, until I put the polishes and glosses on it as agreed. UGH! I feel like I worked way too hard on it for it to look this ... ugh. Anyhow!

Just wanted to vent icon_smile.gif. I'll post a picture a little later on. icon_smile.gif

-Emi.

15 replies
gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 3:17am
post #2 of 16

I feel your pain. I hate when people come up with really bad ideas and don't take the expert advice. dunce.gif Do you have the pic uploaded yet??

emiyeric Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 1:27pm
post #3 of 16

No, not yet ... I'll get it posted today. I really should have made an alternate topper like I wanted and posted the pic the way I would have liked it, THEN add on the stuff they wanted and present it to them like that icon_smile.gif.

cookie_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 16

I'm so sorry she made you deface your beautiful cake. I'm looking forward to seeing the pics!

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 2:49pm
post #6 of 16

I actually think the cake looks cute. The topper idea with them tied together looks "polished"!.......sorry icon_razz.gif

I had visions of a buttercream cake with the tubes of lipstick actually sticking out of the icing...ughhhh. But I think the cake looks nice. Good job even if it was not your vision.

emiyeric Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 3:05pm
post #7 of 16

Hahaha! "Polished"! I like it icon_smile.gif. Apparently the girls really liked getting to pick their "favor" off of the cake. I'm glad they got what they wanted, even if it was definitely not what I would have picked icon_smile.gif.

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 3:15pm
post #8 of 16

I think it turned out fabulous...even with the favors!!! I love the colors and the fondant roses. I quess what's important is that they liked it.

K'ly

emiyeric Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 3:21pm
post #9 of 16

Thanks so much! That's really encouraging to hear. By the way, K'ly, I LOVE your quote!

-Emi.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 3:30pm
post #10 of 16

I, too, had visions of bottles of polish being stuck to the sides of the cake with buttercream. Ewww!

This, however, is one beautiful cake!!!!!! I'd be proud of it, if I were you, and you made the birthday girl happy. Your time and effort were definitely NOT wasted -- they shine through!

emiyeric Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 5:09pm
post #11 of 16

Thanks, guys, I agree that the main thing is that they were happy with it. I might just have to repeat the thing with my own topper anyway icon_wink.gif.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 5:22pm
post #12 of 16

Agreed. totally adorable.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 5:24pm
post #13 of 16

It's cute doesn't look that bad, but cake is real cute.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 12:35am
post #14 of 16

Your cake is very cute! But I agree with the tacky-ness of the cosmetics on and around the cake. Would have been better in fondant and the girls getting the real suff in little drawstring pouches or something of that nature.

dreamdelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamdelights Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 2:11am
post #15 of 16

I saw the cake it still came of classy although they tried to make it tacky with the make up

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 2:21am
post #16 of 16

I think it looks great! i've done cakes i thought were a bad idea, and when i face that issue, the cake always looks even worse, just because my heart's not in it.

i think you pulled this one off with flying colors icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%