"well, When My Mom Bakes Cakes..."

Decorating By Cakes_By_Bright Updated 3 Mar 2009 , 12:12pm by grama_j

Cakes_By_Bright Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakes_By_Bright Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 43

My gosh I never thought I'd used that phrase against my BF, but I almost killed him recently.

We own a new cybercafe and for Valentine's day we sold cupcake flower baskets. We (my bf and I) had done some before. Since I met him and he found out I liked to bake he told me his mom used to bake cakes. So, whenever I was in the kitchen baking (I use recipes then adapt these to however I please and create my own icon_biggrin.gif ), he'd always say something about his mom and when she used to bake. At first it was cool cause it's like getting tips from someone who knows...five years later...not so much. icon_confused.gif

SO....back to the baskets...It's Friday morning (maybe the 13th had something to do with it) and you know Murphy's Law, right? So, I'm dealing with that...honestly I thought at first he'd be able to give me a hand, but he was sorta confused in the kitchen and at moments like that I prefer having the kitchen to myself so I can manuever freely. He REALLY wants to help though, so I say prep the basket. He doesn't know how he says. "Wrap the foam". (Then n there I KNEW I should've done in the night before but with regular work, the shop, and school it didn't hit me then). I felt like an old Everbody Loves Raymond episode where the wife found out the only reason her husband said he didn't know how to do things was to get out of doing them. But I thought, this couldn't be the case here....no way!! he's REALLY trying!!

And he actually was. But, truth is, my bf's never been good at wrapping anything. I've done all his Xmas wrapping, and I know he pays to get my gift wrapped. Can't blame him though. So, to make him feel helpful, I say, "you grab the kitchen i'll grab the basket. All you gotta do now is the frosting".

-"Where do I start?"
-"Put 1/2C Crisco in the machine (our mixer) and beat it until it's creamy.

I keep wrapping and hear the machine go....slow.

"Sweetie, you gotta beat it faster so it gets creamy."
"What else should I put in?"
{puzzled since it's not even a minute yet}"Is it creamy?"
"No, I'm asking you what else to put in"
"Only that."
"ARE YOU SURE?!?!"
{Now I'm getting frustrated} "yeah, just beat it faster so it gets creamy."
"What else goes in though?"
"Nothing yet, hon, beat it" {the 'hon' is cause now I'm just getting po'd.}
"It's not DOIN ANYTHING" {now he's copping an attitude with me}
"Honey, FASTER!!"
then he dared say, "SHould I call my mom and ask her?"
{trying not to say anything that starts with his momma} "Look it's just that for now and you gotta beat it till it's creamy THEN you add something."
"Well I'm telling u it's not doing anything"
"Faster honey." {By now i'm so po'd the basket is not even coming out right}
know what he does? he puts the machine faster and looks into the bowl and then he gives me this it's-not-doin-anything look. icon_mad.gif

Okay, so I'm just irritated and as I'm walking back into the kitchen I say "faster, it's too slow" he answered "I DID PUT IT FAST AND IT'S NOT DOIN ANYTHING!!". So as I get to the machine I reach out, hike it up, and when I look into the bow' I realized it WASN'T getting creamy....nor WAS anything going to get creamy. I don't know how I didn't just cry. I was upset but once I handed that basket in I was able to laugh.

I stopped the machine and calmly said, " CRISCO, sweetie...not Presto."
"I heard Presto."
"I said FROSTING, doesn't your mother BAKE?!?" icon_twisted.gif

42 replies
loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 5:07pm
post #2 of 43

oh my gosh! What a great story! I can totally picture the whole scenario. You are a good writer icon_lol.gif

Ok... so now I gotta know: what is PRESTO???? Please to explain... icon_razz.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 43

This sounds like hubby when I need him to hang a shelf for me. I tell him EXACTLY where I want it hung. And he hangs it at the level HE thinks it should be. So when I make him take it down and do it over, he holds it up to the wall and says, "is that where you want it?" I say, "Lower ... lower ... lower .... lower .... lower .... ok that'll do."

I ask him to move the towel holder in our guest bath from the right of the sink to the left of the sink. He moved it all right ... he moved it 4" to the right on the same freakin' wall!!!! When I complain again about "why can't you ever hang anything where *I* want it hung?" He says, "So how far over did you want it moved?" I said, "I wanted it moved to opposite side of the freakin' sink ... on the OTHER wall!" So he gets all pi$$y because i didn't tell him that (and that's a WHOLE 'nuther argument!) and I said, "Why would I want you to put a big 'ole honkin' hole in the wall just to move something 4 lousy inches?"

Men. Can't live with 'em. Can't kill 'em. (Well you COULD ... but then you'd have to clean up after 'em ONE MORE TIME!) icon_twisted.gif

indydebi Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 43

P.S. And hubby would frequently used the "but that's how mom did it!" phrase, until I finally got him to understand "If your mom did it, then it's probably wrong, so dont' do it!" (and I love my MIL. She's an awesome lady, but we are from two REALLY different generations on raising kids and running a house!)

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 10:29pm
post #5 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

and I said, "Why would I want you to put a big 'ole honkin' hole in the wall just to move something 4 lousy inches?"

Men. Can't live with 'em. Can't kill 'em. (Well you COULD ... but then you'd have to clean up after 'em ONE MORE TIME!) icon_twisted.gif

&

Cakes_By_Bright, too funny thanks for the great story.

ROFLMAO icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 1:11am
post #6 of 43

Funny story!

My husband used to pull the "Well when my mom baked..." He has quit saying that now that I have proven myself to know how to do things WAY better than his mom did. She's great, but I do things differently and it still *gasp* works out just fine! icon_razz.gif

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 1:30am
post #7 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriana

oh my gosh! What a great story! I can totally picture the whole scenario. You are a good writer icon_lol.gif

Ok... so now I gotta know: what is PRESTO???? Please to explain... icon_razz.gif

I want to know too...what is Presto?

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 1:55am
post #8 of 43

No way...could it really be this...?? http://www.prestoflour.com/Portals/Presto/portal.aspx?tabid=15

To the OP: thanks for sharing such a great story!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 2:54am
post #9 of 43

How FUNNY!!! He must have thought you were off your rocker telling him the flour would get creamy without any other ingredients. I had tears from laughing so hard. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 3:08am
post #10 of 43

That is SO hilarious! My MIL can't cook at all, let's just forget about baking anything...& my husband knows it!

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 3:26am
post #11 of 43

I'll never have that problem with my BF. His mom can't cook and he knows it. She's known for cooking once a year. On New Year's Day she makes lasagna. This year (2 weeks before Superbowl) she actually made a pork roast. Since the Cardinals were in the Superbowl (we're in Az) and she'd cooked twice before January was out, I told her the world must be coming to an end icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

They'd been installing counters and cupboards for the last 2 months, and I told her they should have been installing bomb shelters instead. icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

miss-tiff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss-tiff Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 3:33am
post #12 of 43

That was a cute story. Definitely write that one down in a journal or something to laugh about years from now. icon_lol.gif

lauramw71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauramw71 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 3:41am
post #13 of 43

MEN!!! Can't live with em... can't line up along the highways to fix our flat tires.. *sigh* LOL

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 3:45am
post #14 of 43

Girls your knocking yourselves out! This is what I tell my daughter:

Men, are all the same, they just come in different sizes and colors!

indydebi Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 3:57am
post #15 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramw71

MEN!!! Can't live with em... can't line up along the highways to fix our flat tires.. *sigh* LOL

As my sister likes to say, "If batteries could mow lawns, we wouldnt' need men at all!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 3:57am
post #16 of 43

'Women need men like a fish needs a bicycle.' - Gloria Steinem

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 4:11am
post #17 of 43

Presto is cake flour. Just and FYI!

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 4:21am
post #18 of 43

My MIL can't cook either and my hubby never compares my cooking to hers. I have been cooking and baking since I was 11 years old. Now my DIL hears that's not the way my mom cooks it a lot from my DS. She does like to learn and she loves to come over and learn how to cook with me. She had a mom that couldn't cook and thought a lot of things were terrible until she tried mine. She took the Wilton cake classes and I took them all again with her. She is good at decorating but still lacks the confidence. We won't talk about how I had to teach hubby how to grill (you know the thing that men are supose to be born knowing how to do). icon_rolleyes.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 6:13am
post #19 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_to_decorate

We won't talk about how I had to teach hubby how to grill (you know the thing that men are supose to be born knowing how to do). icon_rolleyes.gif

I think the only thing they actually do is flip the burgers. Don't we usually have to do everything else and they get all the praise icon_lol.gif ?

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 6:29am
post #20 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissypie

Presto is cake flour. Just and FYI!

Thanks, I had never heard of it before tonight.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 6:51am
post #21 of 43

Not only is it cake flour, it is SELF-RISING cake flour, made by the same people that make Swans Down! I sure wish I could find that in the store! I totally messed up a recipe a few weeks ago that called for SR cake flour; I botched the conversion amount of soda and salt to add. Would much rather just have the correct flour in my pantry. It's only $2.75 for a box but you don't even want to KNOW how much the shipping is! icon_mad.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 7:07am
post #22 of 43

LMAO!!!! That's too funny.

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 1:43am
post #23 of 43

Ha... I guess I got lucky. My husband does it right the first time. And on the off chance that he does screw it up, he doesn't get offended when I get mad and make him do it over.

The only thing wrong with him is he doesn't know how to close the damn cupboard doors in the kitchen.... lol

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 2:02am
post #24 of 43

I feel your pain! When I first got married I made *MY* lemon pie -- a lemon cream cheese pie which is to die for. DH sits down, picks up the fork, eats first bite and says "But this isn't how my mom makes lemon pie." Well, after having had a very long day full of irritating people the last thing I want to be compared to is his mother so I bellowed "THEN GO LIVE WITH YOUR MOTHER!" Result -- he meekly bows his head and says "yes dear." icon_lol.gif (and he is NOT a "yes dear" kind of guy!) I still laugh over that one! But I guarantee you I never got compared to MIL again! icon_twisted.gificon_biggrin.gif

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 2:18am
post #25 of 43

I guess I don't get the ''But MY mom does it this way'' comparisons because my husband had been out on his own for 20 years before we met. He's just happy to have someone cook for him once in a while. *giggle*

indydebi Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 2:45am
post #26 of 43

Don't you love the logic? We spend the first 20 years of our life, living with OUR mom, watching HER cook, learning HER methods ... just so that wehn we get married, we cna be criticized because we don't make them the way HIS mom makes it.

First hubby would always take a taste of my potato salad and say, "It needs a bit more pickle juice." Well, ya big dumba$$, I don't PUT "pickle juice" in my potato salad! The pickle juice that your mom drowns her potato salad with is why HER potato salad taste like crap!

Go figure, huh! icon_eek.gif

sweettreats36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreats36 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:07am
post #27 of 43

What a great story! Sounds so much like my husband and I but must I say it's the other way around when I'm helping him build something or put something together icon_redface.gif . But I must also admit that I do it to get back at him for the time he ruined a cake project I was doing just because I thought it would be a great way for us to spend time together, instead of him watching the game icon_lol.gif .

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:09am
post #28 of 43

I consider myself lucky that my DH doesn't pull any of that with me...he's been trained well I guess! icon_lol.gif

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:36am
post #29 of 43

Great story!

But, I am torn.

As a wife of a mama's boy I should be thinking, "cut the apron strings already!" over his behavior.

Yet, as a mama of four boys I thought, "aww bless his heart!"

indydebi Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 3:44am
post #30 of 43

MaryJ, don't you turn into one of THOSE mother-in-laws! (I got my mom finger out, ready and loaded, girl!) icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%