Cakes And Friends: A Happy Ending!!

Decorating By ceshell Updated 28 Feb 2009 , 4:48am by xstitcher

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 9:10am
post #1 of 5

OK after reading pages and pages of posts written by fellow cakers who are routinely taken advantage of by family, overrun by ungrateful friends when they offer up "freebies" or subjected to inane expectations at parties or wherever else a cake might come in handy, I thought maybe you would enjoy seeing a "happy story" for a change.

Are you with me, or am I already hearing the crickets chirping? icon_lol.gif I was just so pleased about two of my most recent cakes, I can't hold it in any longer.

For the first cake, in December, a friend sheepishly asked me if I would please, please bake her daughter's 1st BD cake. I had just done a huge cake that took a lot out of me, Christmas was coming, I really didn't want to do it--especially since I knew it would be for about 60 people and I was kind of over the "big production" cakes for a while. She even offered to pay, but I am a hobby baker; we can't sell in CA but I wouldn't want to do it for $ even if it was legal: too much stress. But I did agree to do a 9" round gluten-free cake for her and the birthday girl (and whomever else it would feed) as a gift. She hoped for a California Christmas theme but design was totally up to me thumbs_up.gif. This was my Surfin' Santa cake, and even though he BROKE before the party icon_eek.gif and I had to repair him with hot glue icon_confused.gif, AND the palm tree fell over at least once before the cake was served *ugh!*, she was still so thrilled with my cake that she sent me a thank you card two weeks later with a Williams Sonoma gift card!! For $100!! I nearly fell over!!

Fast forward to mid-February, I'd offered to bake a cake for the son of one of my dearest friends since I'd never made her a cake before. Her 9-y.o. son wanted a Naruto cake, or specifically, having seen my little Remy, he reallllllllly wanted a gumpaste Naruto. Other than that design again was up to me, she even offered to buy a sheet cake if it would save me time and trouble. (Uh...no.) I did the cake to serve 35 and they all loved the figure (my best character ever, I think!) and weapons, they wouldn't eat ANY of them, even though I made extra weapons just to eat. The dad was already talking about the kind of stand/case he was going to construct to put the GP figure in. (It's my most recent upload if you care to look.) When I left the party, my friend handed me an envelope that said "Thanks a lot, we love you!" and I was like...no, no no! This was my gift! She insisted. I get home, my jaw dropped: Five twenty dollar bills, staring me in the face. Way TOO much, as the cake really WAS a gift, but wow, did it make me feel good.

For me, the joy wasn't about the $, it was about having two friends who actually appreciated my work so much that they felt compelled to thank me in such a tangible way. OK wait, in a way it IS about the money--not about GETTING it, but rather: the fact that each of them placed that kind of value on her respective cake just blew me away. I mean, these are cake civilians, aren't they supposed to slip me a ten dollar bill and think they've done me a huge favor?!

So there you go, I just wanted to share my happy experiences. Hopefully there is a nice shocking thread you can now return to for your daily dose of CC drama (and I will surely see you there LOL) but I figured, who can't use just a tiny bit of sunshine in their day?

Thanks for listening icon_smile.gif

4 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 9:34am
post #2 of 5

but I figured, who can't use just a tiny bit of sunshine in their day?

Not me - that for sure - had a horrid evening last evening (attempted home invasion) icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_mad.gif - i heard and then saw him trying to get in through a large LOCKED bathroom window - think my screaming to the Husband (who was in bed snoring) saved us from anything more horrid - so reading this thread restores one faith in humans once again.

Ceshell - that was such a lovely post to read - and it just goes to show how special you are in your friends lives.
Isn't it wonderful to be appreciated and know that there are kind people around us.
Thankyou for sharing.
Everyone needs a good friend just like you who is *there* even when exhausted and has alot on her plate.

Bh.....shaken but not stirred..... icon_wink.gificon_smile.gif

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 10:21am
post #3 of 5

ceshell, thank you for sharing your experience. It is always nice to hear positive things about people. We tend to focus only on the negative.
Your cakes are great and I love your figures.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 5

I know, it is usually more fun to focus on the negative. I had a cake disaster in December and--I don't know what is wrong with me--I didn't even post about it!! icon_confused.gif LOL

Bluehue I am SO sorry to hear about your horrible evening, OMG that is just terrifying. I am so glad your yelling scared the person away. He was probably just trying it to see if it was unlocked, they always say that bad guys get in thru unlocked doors/windows most of the time. I am so happy you are unharmed!

Thanks for the positive words, both of you icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 4:48am
post #5 of 5

Ceshell doesn't if feel great when someone values all the hard work that goes into what we do? I'm so glad you chose to share these stories with us.

Bluehue, I'm so sorry you went thru that horrible experience but I'm so thankful that you are all alright.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%