Fake Layers....help

Baking By nicksmom Updated 27 Feb 2009 , 8:05pm by __Jamie__

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 2:56am
post #1 of 9

I have a three tier (stacked) wedding cake order, the bride only needs the cake to feed approx 20-25 people,but would like a big cake still.so she asked for two fake layers.fine. we are doing 10 in real cake on the bottom and 8in fake then a 6in fake stacked.SO would you advise to use for fake layers;styrofoam or pans?

8 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 2:59am
post #2 of 9

Hands down...styrofoam artificial tiers!

You were thinking of decorating the exterior of pans instead? icon_confused.gif I've never heard of a baker doing that, but let's just consider that you might never see those pans again if you offer something she has to return. icon_lol.gif

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 3:03am
post #3 of 9

I agree... styrofoam - that way you can decide on thickness, etc. and you still have your pans in your cabinet at the end of the day!!!

Here's a website with reasonable prices....
www.dallasfoam.com

They come in all sizes and shapes. HTH!
~ Jaime

ladybug76 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 3:04am
post #4 of 9

Not quite sure why website was blocked above, as I have posted and seen this posted before, so I will send you PM with info.
~ Jaime

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 3:34am
post #5 of 9

I find styro difficult to frost without fingers in the way,are there any tricks to this,like would I have to glue it to a board first?my cousin is catering the wedding, which happens to be his friend, so he said he would retrive my pans and cake stand,I trust my cousin,plus he only lives a few houses up icon_biggrin.gif

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 3:46am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonia74

Hands down...styrofoam artificial tiers!

You were thinking of decorating the exterior of pans instead? icon_confused.gif I've never heard of a baker doing that, but let's just consider that you might never see those pans again if you offer something she has to return. icon_lol.gif

I saw some decorator on an HGTV (maybe?) show... I can't remember what it was, but some guy goes and fixes failing businesses... I don't know, my mom saved it for me at her house because this lady had a failing cake business in california and she wanted me to see how he fixed it (thanks mom!!)

anywho... she had display cakes up in her shop and they were on pans, my mom thought it was just the most brilliant idea ever - I explained to her the cost of styro vs. pans and she seemed to get it, but I think she thought I was just making excuses...

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 4:03am
post #7 of 9

I did my first styrofoam tier and I used 3 rings (the ones they sell in the craft store like a wreath) and then a full circle on the top so it would not cave in when I put fondant on....I hope I explained that right. Needless to say it created a big hole in the bottom so I could hold it and work the fondant etc. around without huge fingerprints and what not (so three rings glued together and then glue the full circle to it)...if that does not make sense let me know I will try to explain it differently. HTH

ladybug76 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 7:57pm
post #8 of 9

OK... I was close with the web address!!! icon_redface.gif SInce I was missing the hyphen, I think CC will recognize and allow it to post.

Here we go.

www.dallas-foam.com

Keep you fingers crossed and I hit the submit button!
~ Jaime

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 8:05pm
post #9 of 9

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%