Bc Icing Problems

Decorating By Getus Updated 26 Feb 2009 , 8:53pm by kakeladi

Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 2

I use Indydebi's icing recipe. I switched to hi ratio shortening and now I cannot get the icing to smooth nearly as nicely and I have a few crater like places in it. It almost seems too moist...like it doesn't want to crust properly. I made 2 cakes last weekend, and felt as though I had to battle with getting them smooth...for WAYYY too long.

I was reading a thread on here about emulsifiers. So, now I am wondering if there is any chance that by my switching to hi ratio...I have changed how the icing performs? Oh...and I use HWC in my recipe in place of the milk she calls for. So, I am assuming this adds some emulsifier, as well?

I am open for any ideas/suggestions as to what I might be doing that is causing this. I have 3 cakes to do this weekend, and really don't want the headache I had last weekend trying to smooth my icing.

Any help is appreciated!
TIA.

1 reply
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 2

Hi Ratio does have emulsifiers in it. I guess the best thing is to go back to the original recipe. The HWC probably does not effect it much, if at all - except for tasteicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%