Fondant Draping....help

Decorating By patticake1956 Updated 6 Mar 2009 , 11:12pm by JodieF

patticake1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticake1956 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 12

How do I accomplish the sheet music drape like the one on this cake?

I am making a 3 tier wedding cake with the bottom tier being a piano keyboard and the top tier will have a sprinkling of musical notes on it and the middle tier just plain white. I want to print the sheet music onto rice paper or edible transfer and then attach it to fondant to drape from the top tier to the bottom. Do I need to have a 50/50 mix of fondant & gumpaste or can I acheive this look with fondant alone? I don't want it to dry hard. I also, don't know if I should place the drape before I transport the cake or on site. Any ideas, suggestions??
LL

11 replies
tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 12

I've never done this exact technique, but I am thinking in order to get the sheet as thin as the one in the picture you will probably need to use a 50/50 mix. However, it will try hard. I'm not sure, but if you were able to get fondant that thin, it would probably still dry hard.

That probably wasn't much help, but at least you're getting a bump out of it! icon_lol.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 12

I have done draping (different than your pic) w/straight fondant. I think you can do this straight. I don't think you have to roll it all that thin.... see the draped wedding cake in my pix....the one w/the cupid on top.
I would not place this drape until the cake is set up. That won't be hard as it just sits on the ledge and hangs down - it's not tucked under that upper tier.

patticake1956 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 12

Great, thanks. I just want a soft look at least until the cake is cut. How do I see your cakes, kakeladi?

Would I attach this drape with a clear extract or BC?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:39pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcupcake

..... but if you were able to get fondant that thin, it would probably still dry hard.

I rolled my fondant ghosts and bats (halloween cake) that thin and they dried hard. They were fragile ... but they did dry hard.

patticake1956 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:50pm
post #6 of 12

Well, hopefully, if I make it and cover it in plastic until I'm ready to place it on the cake, it will stay soft for a while anyway.

Thanks for all your help.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 10:35pm
post #7 of 12

Look at the post of anyone. At the bottom is a line of buttons. Yours has 'profile' 'pm' and 'photos'
Mine has a few other buttons. Just click on the photos and it will take you to my pix.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 10:51pm
post #8 of 12

My suggestion is, since is the first time you are going to do this, do 50/50 fondant gumpaste, it will make your life much easier.. It can be done full in fondant but you need more experience before trying it. It wont be as bad as you think cause the piece is almost laying flat..there are not a lot of folds in it and the real tricky part of drapes are the folds.

Just remember that when you add your rice paper you need not to touch it as it could break the rice paper. So if you are not totally comfortable you can do your drape and when it dries on the cake then you can add the rice paper. But be careful not to push on your fondant so it wont break. Either way works..

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

edit cause I cant type!

patticake1956 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 5:36pm
post #9 of 12

Thank you all for your help. I plan on making 2 of these in case I wreck the 1st one and I think I will use the 50/50 mix as suggested. Cross your fingers

Kakeladi, I can't beleive I didn't notice the buttons on the bottom of the posts. icon_redface.gif Thanks so much.

patticake1956 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 5:36pm
post #10 of 12

I think I need a little more advice on this. I plan on having an edible transfer printed for this drape. I will then place it on the fondant and then drape it on the cake. I want a few folds in it. It will go from the top of the middle tier to the bottom tier. My question is...Will the transfer crack or break as I'm placing it on the cake?? I'm a litttle worried about that. Any other suggestions on how to do this would be appreciated. I'm making this cake for next Saturday.

Patti icon_smile.gif

nicolesprinkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolesprinkle Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 10:11pm
post #11 of 12

I would think you could roll it out and put on the transfer and put in into a sealed container until the day of the wedding to put it on. This should keep it from drying out.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 11:12pm
post #12 of 12

I put sheet music and a program announcement made with edible images on my trombone case cake. I did them on fondant and then placed them on the cake. It will harden some, but will stay on the cake. Just use a little water to attach it. It wasn't "draped" per se, but I think you'd be fine doing it beforehand, presuming you're transporting it stacked.

Jodie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%