How Do You Ship A Cheesecake?

Decorating By yelle66 Updated 26 Feb 2009 , 1:43am by Funkybaker

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 3:54pm
post #1 of 4

I just wondered if anyone on here has done this before and how its done. My little brother's birthday is in 2 weeks and I would really love to send him his favorite cheesecake. He is military so he really doesn't have family out there to make or buy him a cake.

Thanks!

Danielle

3 replies
Funkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Funkybaker Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 11:51pm
post #2 of 4

I have shipped quite a few cheesecakes. The proper way, would be to purchase a shipping container that is specifically made for cakes/cheesecakes. Its basically a foam container that you put the frozen cheesecake in, add a cold pak and then you put that in the cardboard box that comes with it. You can find these shippers online. Just google 'cheesecake shipping containers'.

If you can't get the container in time, freeze the cheesecake for at least a full day. wrap in cling wrap, and put in zip loc bag. Put wrapped cheesecake with a few cold paks in a box that is just a little bigger than the cheesecake. Put that box in another box with some sort of packing material to cushion it (bubble wrap, newspaper, etc).

You MUST ship overnight. If you want to pay the extra handling fee for hazardous material you can ship using dry ice which will keep your cheesecake frozen throughout transit. If not, the cheesecake should still be cold upon arrival. I've never used dry ice, but never had anyone tell me their cheesecake wasn't cold upon arrival.

I hope this helps!

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 1:34am
post #3 of 4

how do you ship them (service-wise)? I checked UPS and it was $56 for overnight shipping on a 5lb package (I was just guesstimating here). Surely you've got a cheaper way to ship, right?

Danielle

Funkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Funkybaker Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 1:43am
post #4 of 4

Hi Danielle,

Unfortunately, that's about right. The cheapest way to ship will be via the post office. The only problem with them is they don't ship EVERYWHERE overnight like UPS or FedEx. You also have to take into account the size of the box. They add on extra the bigger the box is.

Cheryl

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%