Making Fondant Cars?

Decorating By AllyR Updated 1 Mar 2009 , 7:41pm by tony_sopranos_ebony_girl

AllyR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AllyR Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 1:40pm
post #1 of 4

I am making a racetrack cake for my son's 4th birthday--fondant covered with a black fondant track on top. I was planning to use store bought HotWheels cars for the top, but I would love to try my hand at making my first edible figures!
So my question: can you make cars out of fondant, specifically MMF? I only have experience making MMF and I didn't want to branch out too far. Or is this a job better reserved for gumpaste? If so, should I buy gumpaste or make it? I have never worked with it at all.

TIA!
Ally

3 replies
marriedtoagreek74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marriedtoagreek74 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 2:29pm
post #2 of 4

I had to make a hotwheels size Mcqueen recently and used gumpaste to make a mold over the car ( I sprinkled it liberally with corn starch first) and after it firmed up a little gently removed the car and let dry fully. When it came time I sprinkled mold with cornstarch and then put the fondant in and let firm up and worked from there.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:18pm
post #3 of 4

if it was me, id need a car/ picture infront to copy as i was doing it. in general though, think of a car as a sausage, thinned at both ends. then stick on the windows and lights, and wheels, make lines for doors and the boot. there you have a nice simplistic car!
a bit of practice and you could work on getting a more realistic angled shape too.
xx

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 7:41pm
post #4 of 4

Hello I very nice lady from here just sent this to me and I hope that you may find this helpful ...

courtesy of peanut13:

http://www.how2cakes.com/3dcar.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%