Cake Crumbles When Cut Into It???

Decorating By sunkiss456 Updated 25 Feb 2009 , 5:16pm by sunkiss456

sunkiss456 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunkiss456 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 6:33am
post #1 of 7

I made a just because cake yesterday and noticed when I cut into it today and tried to eat it that it kind of crumbled and fell apart. What causes a cake to do this? I used the funfetti from Pillsbury. Is it just the type of cake mix or what? The only thing I done differently with this cake was used my new KA. I am confused and a little worried now because I have a cake this weekend and don't want this sort of disaster to happen with it. I will be using a different cake mix for the cake this weekend. I never have this issue with cakes. Any ideas on the culprit to this mystery?

6 replies
delisa01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delisa01 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 6:47am
post #2 of 7

This happens to me when I don't use a sharp knife. Could the knife you were using be the culprit?

sunkiss456 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 7:05am
post #3 of 7

Hmm not sure. It's like it doesn't want to hold together once I cut into it. Almost like it is dried out but it doesn't taste dried out. I did everything the exact same. Could I have over stirred it? It was my first time using my KA and I may have got a little too excited and let it stir to long, although I only let it stir for about 2 minutes on the stir setting. I am bumfuzzled

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 12:28pm
post #4 of 7

The stir setting? Is that like number 2 speed? I use speed 5 or 6 for two minutes.

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 12:40pm
post #5 of 7

There was a posting on here a few days ago where someone used the funfetti mix and had the same problem. I think maybe the ingredients. I believe she stacked it and it fell apart on her and she said she wouldn't use it again.

Just passing it on. Enjoy your day!

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 12:43pm
post #6 of 7

I only beat for 2 min with my KA. Also, I use DH with WASC and use vanilla and butter flavoring instead of almond and throw in a little handful of the sprinkles, which are the same thing as the funfetti in the batter.

sunkiss456 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:16pm
post #7 of 7

Yes, there is a stir setting on my KA it's the lowest setting. I have the 4 1/2 Qt KA. I bet it's probably the ingredients. I know not to use this again as well. Thanks for the recipe Malakin. I will have to remember this and try it sometime!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%