Pricing For Buttercream Only

Decorating By ethynsmom Updated 26 Feb 2009 , 5:33pm by Margieluvstobake

ethynsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ethynsmom Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 16

Ok, I have read post after post after post of people asking for help with pricing. I guess I need as much help as the next guy though. I do not do ANY fondant work on my cakes. People where I live just simply don't want it. All the work I do on ALL of my cakes is buttercream. And, usually my cakes are just normal flavors, vanilla, yellow, chocolate, strawberry, etc. No weird fillings or anything. What do you think I could get away with charging for these type of cakes? I work really hard on them and take real pride in my designs. Please help!!!!!

15 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 11:49pm
post #2 of 16

I've been a "buttercream only" person for 30 years (until these evil people on CC just recently convinced me to work with fondant! icon_rolleyes.gif )

My pricing is posted on my website .... $3.50/serving for BC; add $1 for fondant. I also pretty much just do basic flavors because that's what brides order. No Chai, Green Tea, Persimmon, or Guava Monkey Butt Ear Wax cakes over here! icon_biggrin.gif

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 16

Indy,

I just love your personality. icon_lol.gif I took stick to the basics.

Benisha

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I've been a "buttercream only" person for 30 years (until these evil people on CC just recently convinced me to work with fondant! icon_rolleyes.gif )

My pricing is posted on my website .... $3.50/serving for BC; add $1 for fondant. I also pretty much just do basic flavors because that's what brides order. No Chai, Green Tea, Persimmon, or Guava Monkey Butt Ear Wax cakes over here! icon_biggrin.gif

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:35pm
post #4 of 16

Guava Monkey Butt Ear Wax cake - Sounds like those Harry Potter jellybeans that were popular about 8-10 years ago. I seem to recall they had "ear wax" and "booger" flavored jellybeans. BTW, I never tried them myself... tapedshut.gif

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 16

Indydebi,
Do you charge the same for party cakes? I find that most customers don't take into consideration the time it takes to decorate these smaller cakes! It's not so much the cake ingredients but the hours spent on decorating I'd like to be compensated for. I'm with you ethynsmom, I have a terrible time with pricing and would love to know if there is an easy way to price cakes other than wedding cakes?????
Sandy

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:57pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethynsmom

I work really hard on them and take real pride in my designs.

This part doesn't matter in the price. If cake A and cake B look EXACTLY the same and taste the same, and one decorator doesn't take pride or work hard (maybe they are just that good...and bored with it) I am not going to pay someone who tried harder more money... Pride and working hard is what the customer deserves, not a bonus (just like great customer service).

that being said! I think pride and hard work shows in cakes. but just making a point. It's like you being able to charge more money because you are nice, It might make your sale, but it shouldn't determine the price.

I am feeling I will get some other sides to this. not trying to get anything going. just my opinion.

Oh I am so sick of hearing people say but I show up to work on time every day! DUH that is what you are SUPPOSED to do.

I agree with 3.5 a serving (though I am not to that point yet!) I have alot of respect for BC only decorators. I like BC overall, but sometimes fondant accents look/ are easier to make look great icon_smile.gif

good luck

indydebi Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 8:34pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy1

Indydebi,
Do you charge the same for party cakes?

I charge the same for a cake, regardless of what they call it. I dont' have a wedding cake price list and a party cake price list. A 10" round is a 10" round.

As another CC'er pointed out: When Sysco delivers my eggs, if I tell them I'm going to use them in a birthday cake and not a wedding cake, it's funny but they DON'T give me a discount on the price! icon_surprised.gif

And I really just don't have time to explain to every. single. person. why a birthday cake is cheaper than a wedding cake. Even if I HAD an answer to that ... I dont' have time to explain it. icon_biggrin.gif

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 8:42pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

No Chai, Green Tea, Persimmon, or Guava Monkey Butt Ear Wax cakes over here! icon_biggrin.gif

Boy oh boy, I have a craving for some Guava Monkey Butt Ear Wax cake now...Thanks a lot!! icon_lol.gif

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:09pm
post #9 of 16

Thanks Debi, I hadn't looked at it that way. You're absolutely right, it costs just as much for the egss, conf. sugar, butter, etc....whether making a party cake or wedding cake. This sure will make my pricing easier. Thanks so much!!!!
Sandy

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:19pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleebug

Guava Monkey Butt Ear Wax cake - Sounds like those Harry Potter jellybeans that were popular about 8-10 years ago. I seem to recall they had "ear wax" and "booger" flavored jellybeans. BTW, I never tried them myself... tapedshut.gif

icon_redface.gif Ummmm...I did! Hahahahaha...the dirt and grass flavored ones too me right back to childhood! Too funny! icon_lol.gif

ethynsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ethynsmom Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 10:44pm
post #11 of 16

I guess I hadn't thought of it that way either. Supplies cost the same no matter what you are using them for. That is a GREAT way to look at it. Thank you so much!! icon_lol.gif

Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:42am
post #12 of 16

When you are figuring your number of servings for a party cake, do you use the number of servings for a wedding cake or a party cake. According to the Wilton serving guide in the 2009 yearbook it shows a 2-layer, 4 inch high, 10 inch round cake as 28 party servings or 38 wedding servings. So if you are charging $3.50 per serving, do you charge by the 28 servings or the 38 servings?

indydebi Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 1:20pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margieluvstobake

When you are figuring your number of servings for a party cake, do you use the number of servings for a wedding cake or a party cake. According to the Wilton serving guide in the 2009 yearbook it shows a 2-layer, 4 inch high, 10 inch round cake as 28 party servings or 38 wedding servings. So if you are charging $3.50 per serving, do you charge by the 28 servings or the 38 servings?

I use the wilton chart to determine pricing, not necessarily to determine the number of servings. So I use the 38 figure times my price per serving to determine the price for the 10" round cake. They are welcome to cut it any size they want .... it's the same price no matter how they cut it. My price sheet shows the cake serves 25-35, depending on how you cut it. But there's only one price listed.

My question for party servings people ..... are you charging 50% more per serving than you do for wedding cakes, since the serving is 50% bigger? So if your wedding cake is $3 a serving (1X2X4"), are you charging $4.50 a serving for party cakes (1.5 X 2X4) .... 50% more money because they are getting 50% more cake per slice?

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 2:18pm
post #14 of 16

"I use the wilton chart to determine pricing, not necessarily to determine the number of servings. So I use the 38 figure times my price per serving to determine the price for the 10" round cake. They are welcome to cut it any size they want .... it's the same price no matter how they cut it. My price sheet shows the cake serves 25-35, depending on how you cut it. But there's only one price listed."

gotta love this logic!! it has become the cornerstone of my business philosphy. thank you so much debi!!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 2:43pm
post #15 of 16

Indi... you would like chai cake.. it's just spiced. icon_wink.gif

Now Guava monkey butt ear wax... you are on your own there.. icon_lol.gif

I charge the same for BC as I do for fondant. The extra time it takes to roll and apply fondant is pretty much a wash compared to the time it takes me to smooth a BC cake to my standards. I use SMBC and it doesn't crust so there's no melvira or viva method for me. I personally find fondant easier. All my cakes start at $5/serving no matter what they are for and this includes any flavors and fillings and moderate decoration. The only thing I upcharge for is highly detailed piping and a ton of fondant cutouts and of course sugar flowers and figures and bows.

Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 5:33pm
post #16 of 16

Indydebi, thanks for your reply. I wanted to know what number of servings you used to determine your pricing, but I didn't word it quite well. You still answered my question. That was exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%