Adorable Puppy - Help!

Decorating By marccrand Updated 20 Mar 2009 , 3:39pm by chilz822

marccrand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marccrand Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 8:57pm
post #1 of 12

I have been asked to make this ADORABLE puppy for a first birthday, hopefully I attached the pic correctly. If not, here's the link.

http://www.londoncake.com/images/002644%20My%20First%20Puppy%20Birthday%20Cake.jpg

I'm sure I can make it just as cute as the original, but am a little unsure of a couple of things.

1. What pans should I use for the head and body? Maybe a ball pan? Or the mini-wonder mold? I guess I could just stack 9 x 13 and carve, I just don't want that much waste and would like a basic shape to start with.

2. I think I'm just going to print off an edible image for the heart, but I'm not sure how to do the gingham on the bow. I've read that I can do gingham with an airbrush but Im not that good. I don't think I'd be able to pull that off without a lot of practice. Any other ideas?

11 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 12

that is so adorable...........just wanted to add that I recently did gingham on a cake with an airbrush but it's not as neat looking as that gingham, if you wanna check it out ........you can however use edible image sheets on fondant, lucks has them and they show them being used on fondant bows as well.

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 12

OMG!!! that is AORABLE!! Depending on how big you want the dog, why not start with some loaf pan and carve them from there and maybe even some medium loaf pans for the legs.

I would paint the gingham with food coloring and a paint brush.

Good luck and boy is he CUTE!!

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 9:23pm
post #4 of 12

I did a blues clues cake (see my pics)

For the back I used the wonder doll pan then I baked a 9 x 13 cake (for stomach and feet) carved to the fit cake. For the face I used the wonder mold and carved but for this dog I would carve round cakes.

good luck, look forward to seeing the final cake.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 10:07pm
post #5 of 12

marccrand, please show us a pic when you're done and let us know what worked for you (and if you wanna take pics along the way to show the construction, I certainly wouldn't mind!).

That is toooo cute

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 12:53am
post #6 of 12

Designer Stencils has "plaid" stencils - maybe you could airbrush the gingham trim pieces and carefully shape and place them. It is two separate stencils - stripes gong in two directions. That is one cute cake!

chilz822 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:43am
post #7 of 12

I love it, I'm just fascinated with it for some reason! That site also has a carved Eeyore cake that is the cutest thing I have seen... check it out

ceatza05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceatza05 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:46am
post #8 of 12

This doggy is adorable. icon_biggrin.gif Please post your cake after you finish it so we can learn from your experience.

cakedesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesign Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 10:15am
post #9 of 12

Why couldn't you just use petal dust with a striped or plaid stencil ..that is what it looks like they did to me..good luck would love to see it when you are done..thanks debbie [email protected]

marccrand Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 8:38pm
post #10 of 12

I didn't think of using loaf pans in addition to the balls, that might be the way to go! I've looked at the gingham stencils, but am still really unsure how to tackle the gingham.

I'll try to post pics, but haven't been able to download anything on CC for a long time. But if I can't I'll post the link to the pics when it's finished.

Thanks for all the suggestions, CC'ers are the BEST!

I agree, Eeyore is TOO CUTE!

marccrand Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 9:09am
post #11 of 12

Yeah!! I was able to upload the picture to my gallery! Maybe I'll go back and see if I can get any others to work. thumbs_up.gif

I was really happy with the result, not as good as the original, but still really happy. I used a 10" square to carve the shape of the body, an 8" circle cut in half and standing up for the "haunches", a carved 8" for the head with a 6" standing up for the forehead. (Until he got his nose attached, three people thought he was a hippo icon_redface.gif )

As you saw from my earlier posts, I was VERY unsure of how to attempt the gingham. I ended up making a blue bow and cutting TEENY-TINY stripes and gluing them on. From a distance it looked okay, but not really thrilled with the final result. Besides, it took FOREVER. I think I should've printed a piece of gingham on an edible image and just glued it onto the finished bow. I'm not sure I would've loved it, but it would've been a lot faster!

Anyway, check him out in my gallery and let me know what you think. I'm still open for ideas on the gingham for next time so let me know any success stories you've had with that.

chilz822 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 3:39pm
post #12 of 12

marccrand,
How funny to see this post this morning. I was JUST thinking about you last night and this cake, wondering if you were ever able to do it. I couldn't find this original post to check up on you!

Thanks for sharing, you did a great job, he's realllllly cute!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%