Highschool Baker Help?

Decorating By mandygirlxoxo Updated 25 Feb 2009 , 3:05am by classiccake

mandygirlxoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandygirlxoxo Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 4

Does anyone here own a bakery and want to share how they got there? im in Highschool right now and im signing up for classes next year (i will be a junior) my goal is to go to a really good pastry school and open a bakery as soon as i can. I might work in a bakery for a few years while im figuring things out. but right now im just curious about which classes would be best for me to reach my goal. Is there any classes that you wish you would have taken that would have helped you?

3 replies
sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 4

I would take some business/accounting classes just for the business side of the bakery.

Art classes might help jump start your creativity with designs- get a good sense of color/design schemes. There's always artwork that I look at and want to recreate it in cake icon_smile.gif

Good luck with your bakery goal!

Sweet-Kakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet-Kakes Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 4

Im sorry I can't help you with your classes, but your little frisbee saying at the bottom of your post absolutely cracked me up! Hilarious! icon_lol.gif

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 3:05am
post #4 of 4

I have had two high school students "go through the ropes" at my store. One came to me when she was 14 and said "I want to go to culinary school. I will do anything you need just to get a chance to hang around you guys." I liked her attitude and determination and told her I had an opening for a dishwasher. She could do dishes, and the sooner she got done, then she could "play in sugar with the big dogs." Two years later, she had worked her way out of washing dishes. She is now a junior in college, and asks to come back every summer and Christmas break. She is a very good decorator. When she gets to pastry scholl, she will already be a SUGAR EXPERT!

Tkae some basic classes and PRACTICE. She if you can find someone to mentor you. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%