Good Books For Girls Before Puberty

Lounge By koolaidstains Updated 25 Feb 2009 , 6:22pm by tx_cupcake

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 1:48pm
post #1 of 10

I thought I'd start a new post about this. I found the books I was talking about in another post. The American Girl book is called "The Care & Keeping of You." It's for pre-teens and covers all things like...
hair care, eye, ear, and teeth care, acne and skin care, hands(no nail biting), underarms. It has a good section on how breasts grow and different kinds of bras. It covers body shapes and sizes, nutrition and eating disorders, shaving. Of course it covers geting your periods, pads and tampons. It also has fitness info, getting enough rest, feelings, the importance of talking to your parents. I really love this book, it's not a big book, but it covers a lot of areas and is a funa nd easy read. Each section also has "letters" from kids with answers, kind of like a dear abby thing. I like that it even talks about treating people right and having respect for yourself and others.

The other book I have that I like is called "It's So Amazing! A Book about Eggs, Sperm, Birth, Babies, and Families." The book says ages 7 and up. I'd be okay sharing it with a slightly younger person. There is a book for ages 4 and up and one for 10 and up. This one has tons of information. It's written in a really neat way, kind of like a comic book mixed with a regular book. It's very straight forward and factual, but in an age appropriate way. I'd write more, but I need to go drop off my son at preschool.

9 replies
navywifetrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
navywifetrat Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 10

I too love the American Girl book -I have read it with two of my DDs and will read it with the third one when the time comes. We lock ourselves in a room and read sections each night.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 10

I have a very good book that is in the same vein as these fine books you have mentioned but it examines pandora's box too.

This book might be for girls who are a little older and might be for girls who grow up in different circumstances. Might might not.

This book was written by a 16 year old. It's fiction and in a story line describes the dynamics between mother and daughter concerning the loss of virginity in teen years outside marriage. It's a very powerful book that deserves a hearing in the right setting. Will generate tremendous good discussion about relationships between mom and daughter, and with girlfriends and with boys.

I am wondering how to market the book -- I know it needs an audience I just don't know which one. This young author was interviewed on tv--our board of education guy said all the teachers and social workers with our schools need to read this book.

So I'm glad you asked this question because I've been wondering who would be interested in this kind of book and this type of powerful discussion.

navywifetrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
navywifetrat Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 10

k8memphis - I would be interested in that book. Our world has opened up Pandora's box by all the technology we have today. You read about kids taking pictures of themselves and sending them - that would have never happened when I was growing up - we had 35 mm film that had to be developed! The world is a scary place for these kids!

-K8memphis Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:36pm
post #5 of 10

Let me quickly say that yes I operate a bookstore--but I am not selling this book here on the forum. I responded to this thread because I have this quandry about how to promote this book in my store because it is in a church and I can't quite figure out how to do it. I offered to host a book signing for her but the subject matter is so sensitive I'm at a loss.

However, all that to say, here is her email--you can get a book from her. I hope I am not outside board guidelines for this. I mean we recommend sites all the time for purchases right?

ayanna mcfarland (at) yahoo (dot) com

No spaces in the address. She is in high school so she might not answer right away -- lots of home work and activities.

They are only ten dollars plus a bit for shipping. The book really packs a punch.

-K8memphis Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:44pm
post #6 of 10
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 6:40pm
post #7 of 10

When we were that age my mom got us 'Our Bodies, Ourselves'. That was a hundred years ago....

tjrobin31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tjrobin31 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 7:02pm
post #8 of 10

when i was about 12-13 my mom got me are you there god it's me margaret, by judy bloom, for todays youth it's probly not quite up to date. but it dealt with the basics, breasts menstration, it's fiction, but it goes through how this particular young girl deals with all of these things, it's a pretty good book . oh and it's not a religous type of book or anything(becuz of the title).

i'm 32 now and still have it laying around here somewhere.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 7:03pm
post #9 of 10

I'll be 44 in a month and I had that book when I was 12-13!

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 6:22pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

When we were that age my mom got us 'Our Bodies, Ourselves'. That was a hundred years ago....

Our Bodies, Our Selves is now a college text! I bought a copy for my Women's Reproductive Health class, and was shocked at how many women in my class had never heard of it (or some of the stuff in it)!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%