That Takes The Cake - Sugar Art Cake Show

Decorating By FeGe_Cakes Updated 3 Mar 2009 , 3:56pm by FeGe_Cakes

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 1:19am
post #1 of 56

I tried searching for this topic in the forums with no luck, but was thinking of driving down on Saturday to check it out.

How large is this event, and is it worth the 3 hour drive one way to go see the show?

Thanks

55 replies
cakesgalore6373 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesgalore6373 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 1:34am
post #2 of 56

I was also searching for the past post.

My hubby and I are driving Sat. and staying the night. It will be my first cake show to attend. I am very excited to be going, and excited to share this with my hubby. I do not know what to expect, I hope I will not be disappointed.

At least it will get us away for the weekend!!!

Sorry I couldn't help you with your question.

Maybe someone can answer that for the two of us.

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 1:35am
post #3 of 56

Yes, I believe it will be worth the drive.

The site is www dot thattakesthecake dot org http://thattakesthecake.org/

It has grown every year and this year will be no exception.

For Saturday the schedule of events includes:

Competition Entries open for Public Viewing
(included in Admission)
10:30am - 5pm

On-site Competitions
(viewing included in Admission)
1-Tip - 11am to 11:30am
Mystery Cake - 12:00pm to 1:00pm
3-D Sculpted Cake - 1:30pm to 2:30pm
Wedding Cake - 3:00pm to 4:30pm

Mini-Classes Mini Class Schedule
(separate registration)
hands-on and demonstration classes
will be held throughout the day on a
variety of topics.

And if you can, consider staying for the Gala.

Dinner Gala
(separate registration)
6:00pm to 9pm
Watch as Bronwen Weber, Nicholas Lodge, and
Jacquy Pfeiffer work together to create a stunning
music themed Showcake.
Dinner included

Not to mention there will be many vendors there willing to show how their toys and tools work.

FeGe_Cakes Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 1:40am
post #4 of 56

I actually forgot about it, until just last week. I don't think I could drag anyone with me..so was thinking of driving down that morning..and driving back after 5:00 p.m. Would love to stay, maybe I should.

kylakae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylakae Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 1:49am
post #5 of 56

Ohhhh heck, yeah!!!

We have well over 300 cakes entered. We have close to 20....yes....20!! Vendors including Cake Craft Shoppe from Houston.

We have some beautiful prizes, some incredible raffles and if you come you should definitely make the dinner gala! Bronwen Weber, Nick Lodge and Jacquy Pfeiffer will be creating a show cake right before our eyes while we pig out on BBQ from Austin's own Rudy's BBQ.

The Crockett Center is over 50,000 sq ft big and we have it filled with cakes, vendors, classes and more!

So, yes! It will be worth your drive, I promise you!

Kyla

FeGe_Cakes Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 1:51am
post #6 of 56

Oh...why did you have to go and tell me all of that. I guess am going to have to come and find a room. icon_biggrin.gif

kylakae Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 1:54am
post #7 of 56

Come on down! We are all about having fun here at the Austin show!

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 1:56am
post #8 of 56

Hi girls,

I am anticipating it to be very good. If it's anything like the OK Sugar Art Show-Yeah!

I've signed up for two of the mini classes and my hubby and I are driving down from OKC, Oklahoma, Friday and back home on Monday.

I also, get to meet a new friend (from CC) and have dinner with her and her hubby too! I think I'm looking forward to seeing her more than any thing. Who knows, maybe I'll see you there too!

I'm sure it will be worth the time and the cost.

Toni

FeGe_Cakes Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 2:10am
post #9 of 56

I wouldn't mind some company for the drive, but i don't know anyone that is obsessed with caking as I am. Anyone else I know would probably be bored to tears. But you ladies are twisting my arm. I really want to be there. I guess I can put on my Prince and make the drive.

icon_biggrin.gif

kylakae Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 2:49am
post #10 of 56
FeGe_Cakes Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 2:41pm
post #11 of 56

I'm coming...I was telling my friend about it..and she want to go with me. So Austin here I come.

See you ladies there!

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:27pm
post #12 of 56

I am soooooooooo excited for this weekend! I'm not sure we are going to the dinner gala but I can't wait to see all the gorgeous and time consuming works of art! Did anyone ever think of a way so that CC'ers will be identified so we can meet each other? icon_smile.gif

Chippi < doin the Happy Dance!Image

FeGe_Cakes Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 6:50pm
post #13 of 56

Is there a cost for admission?

kylakae Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 7:45pm
post #14 of 56

For the dinner gala? Yes, it's $60 for a single ticket or $50 if you buy more than 1 ticket.

The dinner gala is going to be awesome! Nick, Bronwen and Jacquy will be making a music themed showcake for our entertainment. We'll be serving BBQ from Rudy's BBQ. Yum!

Ky

CaribbeanCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CaribbeanCakes Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 12:01am
post #15 of 56

I will like to go too!! Do you know if there is a hotel nearby and if they offer transportation to the event?? Do we have to register or just show??
Thank you,
Mari

kylakae Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 12:14am
post #16 of 56

chocochip18: If you're not entering the competition then you just need to show up at the door Saturday any time after 10:30am. The hotel we were booking through is now full, I believe. I'm not sure who else everyone is using but there are a lot of hotels in the area of I-35 and Parmer which is close to our event. Unfortunately we do not have transportation to and from the event.

CaribbeanCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CaribbeanCakes Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 1:27am
post #17 of 56

Thank you Kylakae, I'll search for hotels in the area.. Good Luck in the competition!!! Hope to see you in the event!!
Mari

nelper03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nelper03 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 1:35am
post #18 of 56

does anyone know if u can still register for the mini classes?

kylakae Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 2:03am
post #19 of 56

nelper03: Yes, you can still register for mini-classes! If you want to do it online, though, you need to hurry up, otherwise you'll have to register at the show. I believe online registration ends at midnight tonight.

Chippi Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 2:33pm
post #20 of 56

Darn the Hilton does not have any more rooms for Thats Takes a Cake, but they do have it available at regular price icon_sad.gif My bad I had to wait til payday.

Chippi

kylakae Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:58pm
post #21 of 56

Sorry to hear that, Chippi! There are several hotels in that location at I-35 & Parmer. I'd try one of those like maybe Springhill Suites ((512) 833-8100)

EnjoyTheCake Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 5:14pm
post #22 of 56

Chippi,

I sent you a PM if you didn't get it, let me know.

kylakae Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:05pm
post #23 of 56

On here, Deb? I didn't get it. icon_sad.gif

EnjoyTheCake Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 12:00am
post #24 of 56

Kylakae, I sent the PM to Chippi. =) You shouldn't have gotten one.

Is it possible for me to leave business sized cards at the registration table that have holes punched in them and ribbons so people from CC can take one if they want to say "hey I'm from Cake Central"?

I have no idea when I'd get time to do it, but would the registration commitee be agreeable to having them there if folks were interested in taking one?

Chippi Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 3:54am
post #25 of 56

Wow how generous of you Deb! Well I'm bringing my hubby and we never get away together so I truly appreciate the thought and offer that is just so very nice of you! We are getting ready to reserve a room in a few minutes we been at work all day.

Kylakae is there anyway I can pay for the dinner gala for 2 and pick the tickets up down there???? I didn't want to do it on the website and then not have tickets once I got there.

Chippi Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 4:19am
post #26 of 56

I can't wait to meet you all!!! Are we still doing the heart thing with I (heart) CC? Let me know.

Chippi aka Kathy

kylakae Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 6:16am
post #27 of 56

Deb, that would be fine if you get the time!

EnjoyTheCake Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 6:41am
post #28 of 56

Assuming I remember to bring them with me. This is what I came up with. I just printed them on business cards, punched a hole and cut some ribbon.

Hopefully people will use them. I'm planning on leaving them at a registration table or maybe information booth. Not sure exactly how things will be set up.
LL

hazelnut77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hazelnut77 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 7:19am
post #29 of 56

Those are cute Deb! I'll be definitely using one icon_smile.gif

Chippi Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 7:53am
post #30 of 56

Cute Deb!!! My hubby said he wants one that says.......My Wife is addicted too Cakecentral.com lolol wiseguy!

See you all very soon!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%