How Do You Roll Your Fondant?

Decorating By pinktea Updated 24 Feb 2009 , 1:07am by PinkZiab

pinktea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinktea Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 10:38pm
post #1 of 3

In the past , I have rolled my fondant with a rolling pin. I am now considering purchasing the pasta roller attachment for my KitchenAid. Am I throwing money out the window or is this a good investment? Which method is better?

2 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 1:02am
post #2 of 3

I use a rolling pin if I'm covering a cake. I use the pasta roller if I need a really uniform, very thin layer for something, such as fabric draping or gumpaste flowers, pieces for bows.....that sort of thing.

If I'm just making accent pieces, I usually roll them with a mini pin.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 1:07am
post #3 of 3

I use a rolling pin for cover the cake and large pieces. I use a pasta roller for small decorations and detail work (not a kitchen aid attachment, though. I have a freestanding one with a motor. I don't want to be tied to the mixer or not be able to use the roller if the mixer is otherwise occupied). I cannot WAIT until the day i can afford a sheeter! When I interned at Pink Cake Box they had one and working with it was like a DREAM!

Quote by @%username% on %date%