I Want To Start A Cupcakery!!

Baking By Stellarcakes Updated 21 Apr 2009 , 12:59am by btrsktch

Stellarcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stellarcakes Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 21

Ok, so I want to start a cupcakery !!! I have always loved baking for as long as I can remember I love decorating cakes and cupcakes!! I am a hairstylist but really looking into starting my own business. I am married and my husband said he would do it to...if the oppurtunity came up. I know it would be a lot of work for awhile but we can get thru that! So does anyone have any suggestions for me or advice? icon_biggrin.gif

20 replies
cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:48pm
post #2 of 21

I love reading this blog about this couple in Las Vegas building a bakery. If you start at the begingin (more than a year ago) you will see all the trials and tribulations they go through. Here is Kari's latest post regarding starting a cupcake bakery:

http://buildingabakery.blogspot.com/

Good luck!

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:19pm
post #3 of 21

I read the blog I can relate. I've been in several business and I have my own private bakery. You must be prepared and I think about cakes all the time I have to stop myself on my day off but it's hard. I really enjoy doing this but it's not easy and can't do it for money. Yes you need capital but it's how you start off whether from home first and then open in a commercial spot is an option. It's up to you but do your homework and plan plan plan.

Stellarcakes Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:58pm
post #4 of 21

Yea I've have just started thinking small. Lol I think about cupcakes/cakes all the time lol like what's next how can we have this flavor and that...My parent's owned their own business so I have grown up around owning your own business and how hard it can be...even if this doesn't happen till like 5 years down the road. I just want to get as much input from people who are already in this type of industry.

cupcakemkr: thanks for that blog..I ran across it along time ago but completely forgot about it...Thanks I like reading other peoples blog and see what their trials and Triumphs are!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 6:48pm
post #5 of 21

I wish I could remember which forum had the story about the lady who started her cupcake business out of an airstream trailer. She got it all inspected and licensed, and now drives it to different sites to sell her cupcakes. (Think those food vendor trucks....only cupcakes.) I sounded like an incredible idea!

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 6:59pm
post #6 of 21

the business is called The Cupcake Truck in New Haven? it think Connecticut

Here is her blog: http://fooddriven.blogspot.com/

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 8:09pm
post #7 of 21

There is 2 cupcake bakeries here in our city ..both are the same family owned and they call it "Crave".They charge and arm and a leg for their cupcakes and are usually sold out by 1pm everyday...and they do not rebake!! The small store fronts are in strategically placed busy trendy parts of the city..I see people line up for them..Although they may be making the DOUGH..Pardon the pun....they taste like crap...I have had them several times now and they are not worth $2.95 each...$31.00 a dozen....However...someone knows business and they are doing very well.But I can see in a few years when the fad wears out they may not be around!! Remember about 10 years ago the craze with Bagels....not a bagel joint to be found now!!I would do more than cupcakes.Good luck

Stellarcakes Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 9:20pm
post #8 of 21

im goin to read fooddrivens blog..my cousin lives in texas and said there is a trailer like that there.

Yea I want to start with cupcakes and keep it simple then keep adding stuff more desserts...etc...

No if i was to do this it would be all made from scratch!! I don't understand how people eat icky cupcakes lol...

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 7:20pm
post #9 of 21

That's so exciting! I hope that you get it up and going!!

KookieKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KookieKris Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 7:37pm
post #10 of 21

Hi! I'm a newbie here but I just wanted to say goodluck!
I started my own business a few years ago and it was really tough (It still is) but it's worth it because at the end of the day, it's all mine.
I encourage anyone to follow their dreams! icon_smile.gif

sweettreats36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreats36 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 7:41pm
post #11 of 21

My thoughts have been here too but I also thought about it just being a in and out thing. I am doing more research and polling in my area to see the interest of the people. I wish you luck thumbs_up.gif

Stellarcakes Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 7:41pm
post #12 of 21

Thanks!!! And welcome to CC!!

Stellarcakes Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 4:12pm
post #13 of 21

Does anybody own an online cupcakery? Cause I have thought about starting out there and seeing how it takes off...

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 4:55pm
post #14 of 21

what do you mean? no store front just order online?

Stellarcakes Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 5:40pm
post #15 of 21

yea basically that means that you order on a website or do orders my phone then you either deliver the cupcakes or have them pick them up. There is several online cupcakerys out there. I think it would be a good way to get started. I was just wanting to get advice from some people that owned one already!

mcook1670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcook1670 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:40pm
post #16 of 21

yes I'm starting an online storefront. My site is almost done, it still needs work. I'll be working out of a commercial kitchen.. renting to order. I want to start selling also at a farmer's market and then eventually get a truck like the guy in Conn.

EyeCandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EyeCandy Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:54pm
post #17 of 21

I'd love to open my own Cupcakery, I'm just overwhelmed by the stories of all the hard work and long hours that would be needed. I just want to wish you a ton of Luck, if you put your mind to it I'm sure you'll do great! icon_biggrin.gif

That trailer sounds awesome what a great idea!

Stellarcakes Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 11:23pm
post #18 of 21

Mcook...that's cool. I have thought about that. I am actually working part time at a bakery right now. I still hope to start a cupcakery in the near future.

emilyn1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyn1975 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 12:54pm
post #19 of 21

Stellarcakes - I've thought about doing an online store also. Was looking at opening a cupcakery by August or September, almost finished with the business plan, location picked out, met with SCORE and then found out on Wednesday that I'm pregnant! We're super excited but kinda figured opening a shop at 6 months pregnant and then taking 2 months off for maternity leave wasn't going to work and I don't think I'll be able to afford a full-time manager at that point. So now I'm looking at my alternatives.

Stellarcakes Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 9:10pm
post #20 of 21

O wow that's crazy. Congratulations! Where are you located? Maybe you could still keep your place you found and just do online for now and get that going. So what are your alternatives?

btrsktch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
btrsktch Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 12:59am
post #21 of 21

I own a cupcakery, and yes, its a TON of work. I wish I could say that it was all fun and games, and people love my product and are lining up at the door to get to them - but the reality is... Oh wait, they *do* love my cupcakes, but that's about it!

Ugh, its frustrating and we had a huge learning curve on how to adjust for our market area. I'm in a good tourist area (summer months), walking distance to a military academy and a college, as well as being near a state capital - which I automatically assumed would bring some instant business. icon_rolleyes.gif

What I didn't expect was the sheer number of 'curious' people who just want to see what it looks like and ooh and ah how pretty they are, then walk out the door. I offer samples and have a rotating menu, etc but you honestly just can't force people to want to buy. It's a vicious cycle because you never know how many to make and some days end up with tons extra, and other days end up extremely short. And it's always on the short days that people are the most disgruntled and not nice about it.

But no matter what route you go, either online or a storefront, don't underestimate advertising. I'm on a busy street, have a big outside store sign, a hanging sign quite noticeable as you walk past it, and a sandwich board, and people STILL say that can't find me. icon_confused.gif Plus with a website, a flickr account, being on facebook and a blog, and trying to put my name everywhere with tons of free donations (seriously, I'm about to donate 3,000 cupcakes!!!), people still say they didn't know I existed. *sigh*

good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%