Cake Contest Ideas Needed!!

Decorating By bekahzzz Updated 19 Mar 2009 , 8:45pm by LittleLinda

bekahzzz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bekahzzz Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 14

So I have entered myself in a cake contest for the end of next month but I'm having trouble deciding what to do. The "theme" is Birthday, but I don't know whether to do an adult birthday a little kids birthday or like a sweet sixteen.

If ya'll heard the theme birthday what kind of cake pops into your head?? Just need to know which direction to lean. Thanks!!

13 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 1:59pm
post #2 of 14

when I hear birthday I think of bright colors, confetti, balloons, and FUN! But that might just be me.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 14

I agree, go bright and colorful. Make the cake you dream you could have or could of had as a child, but with todays skills. If the cake is "for" you or someone special and close as inspiration, you can't go wrong.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 2:45am
post #4 of 14

There are soooooo many ideas in the b'day gallery. Have you really spent some time surfing thru there?
I think of a frilly, elegant cake for a older lady. That's what I'd love to do.

red0027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
red0027 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 2:57am
post #5 of 14

I think of a fun, topsy turvy, whimsical colored kind of cake. Just something you wouldn't normally see on a regular basis. A cake stacked upside down or tilted, etc. But that's just me.

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:05am
post #6 of 14

I agree, bright colors, something whimsical and FUN! Something very eye catching - I would (as suggested) find someone to "make the cake for". OR - find a birthday "theme" - cinderella, curious george, whatever and work from that.

let us know what you decide!!!

Lorendabug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorendabug Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:09am
post #7 of 14

I love wrapping papper for inspiration for birthdays, it is colorful and usually has a theme to it. Maybe you could do presents in different sizes/colors/designs/etc. Then stack them all topsy turvy. You could add balls or flowers on wires shooting out in different places for movement and excitement.

Sounds like fun! I would love to enter a competition just for the experience but there are not any around my parts that I know of. Good luck and post pictures!

jlynnw Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 1:22pm
post #8 of 14

how are you doing on your theme/design ideas?

bekahzzz Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 1:41pm
post #9 of 14

So far I'm doing...hmm about the same...I just can't decide whether to go adult birthday or Kid Birthday. I've been looking through the gallery and searching the internet for inspiration.

The taste of the cake gets judged too....so I was thinking either tiramisu cake or cookies and cream....and this again comes down to adult or kid! I'm trying to think what would apeal to the judges.

Also I don't know whether to be in the amateur or profesional category. I don't do cakes full time but I do work at a bakery part time and decorate some cakes for them. Mostly simple stuff though. Any help woul dbe appreciated!!

jlynnw Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 1:51pm
post #10 of 14

OK that's it. I have decided it has to be the adult theme cake in tiramisu. I also want the recipe for that! Tiramisu cake or tiramisu? I am sold. I see a fun bright topsy turvy cake done in bright colors on a Tuscan golden yellow background. I am thinking my favorite coffee shop gone wild. I love the decor in the place and have often thought it would be a fun inspiration for the right cake. OK, the cake for me. I hang out at Starby's and Hardback way too too too much!

bekahzzz Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 4:34pm
post #11 of 14

Does anyone have any decoration ideas for me? If it has to be birthday related I guess I could just do candles and balloons, was just looking for something a little more creative, but not sure what to do??

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 4:16am
post #12 of 14

I would go with a kid theme. A pirate ship or a castle cake would be impressive and not too difficult.

bekahzzz Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 2:42pm
post #13 of 14

Well, unfortunately the contest has been canceled. The email I got said it was due to poor ticket sales and the economy...that stinks! There are never contests in my area...

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 8:45pm
post #14 of 14

I've never heard of any in our area either. Too bad there weren't enough participants!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%