Competing Against Myself??!!??

Decorating By diamondsonblackvelvet13 Updated 1 Mar 2009 , 3:11am by xstitcher

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 4:59am
post #1 of 19

This is way too entertaining. Our county is having it's 150th celebration. This Friday the Chamber of Commerce is hosting one of its banquets. Each member/chair/ someone has to decorate his or her own table. Apparently there is also going to be a competition as to who's cake is the best.

Funny thing?? I am making three of them! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_cool.gif

Customer 1:
Cake #1 is two leather bound books with a smaller birthday cake on top or on the side. Going to make the board look like a desk.

Cake #2 (same customer) is undecided. Meeting with them tomorrow.

Customer 2:
Wants our town bird: Paisano Pete. I've attached a pic. The bird is to be out of Rice Krispies. The platform he is on will be cake. She wants me to incorporate "Talavera dishes." She said they were brightly colored. Lots of color here. She mentioned something about bright flowers also. Was thinking - make bird on platform, use the flowers as accents where the plants are in the pics and use the "Talavera dishes" as accents in the sidewalk. Sort of like inlays.

Let me know what you think. Is there anything I can do better? Make easier?
LL

18 replies
summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 5:03am
post #2 of 19

I don't have any advice, but that is just too funny! Best of luck to you!

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 7:26am
post #3 of 19

haha!

Good luck to you. And to you!

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 2:15pm
post #4 of 19

Love the fact that the member is to decorate and they come to you! That says a lot about your abilities! It will fun to see 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in your corner!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 2:46pm
post #5 of 19

jlynnw--1st , 2nd & 3rd--lol too cool!!

But wow too cool and hey, put internal structure in that birdie--consider using chocolate clay for the real spindly parts--not that you don't know what you're doing--I'm just yammering. The 'rice krispie part' alone won't hold up. I know you know that.

Geez I'm designing the rest of the table decor in my head. Use small books for place cards-put feathers all over the table for the birdie--

Can't wait for picutres and to see how you place!

mandice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandice Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 2:54pm
post #6 of 19

lol.. do these people know that the other person has also asked you?

that's hilarious! good luck icon_wink.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 2:58pm
post #7 of 19

Paisano Pete - Is that a road runner? Are you doing him in 3-D?

Well, at least you know you've lowered your odds. icon_lol.gif

Good Luck!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 2:59pm
post #8 of 19

lol...I had to bring my laptop in the kitchen while I work on these so I can keep up....

I am not decorating the tables...the customers are.

They DO NOT know that each has asked me.

I am loving This! I MAY get to make a TV also...did you know that they aren't any in the galleries???

eldag0615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eldag0615 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 2:59pm
post #9 of 19

Are you going to have a table for yourself? The cake competition: aren't the cakes supposed to be made and decorated by the owner of the table? I have never heard of a cake competition where you order the cake from somebody else. But then again, I don't know anything of cake competitions. icon_redface.gif

jlynnw Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:06pm
post #10 of 19

Yeah, uhmm, how does that conversation go. I am making a few other cakes for that event Oh, you don't want me to do you cake Why?

I would love to see the finished cakes and how the tables are finished. I am no help for advice but am wishing everything goes as planned and doing a "hat trick" 1 - 2 - 3

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 9:09pm
post #11 of 19

Hey everyone...It's Friday and the cakes (all four of them) have been delivered. This shindig isn't until this evening, so I won't know how it went until tomorrow. I've attached some pics.....Man, am I TIRED!
LL
LL

jlynnw Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 9:20pm
post #12 of 19

you did a great job!!! all 4 of them??? someonelse added another to your list icon_eek.gif Take it easy tonight and let us kow if it went 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 9:24pm
post #13 of 19

My vote goes to Paisano Pete! He came out great--and is probably more a symbol for your town than the TV--although that one is well done, too!!

eldag0615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eldag0615 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 3:45am
post #14 of 19

They are beeeaaauuutiiifuuuuul thumbs_up.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 6:11am
post #15 of 19

Hey Diana both pics look great. Love the tv one with the remote and all and Paisano Pete looks great too. Did you say you did 4 for the same event?

Great job, I'm sure you'll win icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 6:27am
post #16 of 19

Great job on the cakes...you are sure to win!!! thumbs_up.gif

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 2:13am
post #17 of 19

Weeeeelllllllllllll,
I have some disappointing news, none of my cakes won. icon_cry.gif The winning entry was a topsy turvy in pink and zebra stripes. Mind you I would be happy for them except...it wasn't a REAL cake. It wasn't even a dummy cake per say. It was made with clay and painted. I feel let down I think.

Oh and get this....I heard from my sister in law that THE local cake lady (the one that has been doing cakes the longest and "EVERYONE" goes to) was seriously badmouthing me and my cakes. She said something along the lines of " Let's see if SHE is able to finish all her cakes on time! She just THINKS she knows how to bake!" Why do some people have to be haters? I never did or said anything bad to or about her.

I know I am just being childish but still. My feelings are hurt and I am disappointed! Thanks for listening to me. I appreciate the support, especially coming from REAL cakers!

jlynnw Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 3:06am
post #18 of 19

those that can do, and those that can't complain about those that do! I once heard the best compliment comes from those that badmouth. Let her have her insecurity, you have TALENT babe! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I think you did an excelent job and I am PROUD of all you accoplished. 4 major cakes due at the same time, same place and specialty cakes - uhmm, I think you have it hands down!!! I still say you did it 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 icon_biggrin.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 3:11am
post #19 of 19

Doesn't it suck that it wasn't even real cake? I can see why you would feel let down. You did an awesome job on your cakes.

Totally agree with jlynnw comments about the other cake lady. Just let her comments slide of your back. You did awesome and you got your cakes done, she must feel like quite the idiot now about the things she said.

Once again you did awesome, feel proud of yourself. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%