Need Opinions On This Bridal Shower Design

Decorating By steffla Updated 26 Feb 2009 , 3:56pm by steffla

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 4:43am
post #1 of 28

Hi CC'ers! Was looking for opinions and help with the design of my sisters bridal shower cake. Here's my dilemna...

Was originally making my sisters wedding cake and she desperately wanted a tiered cake that would mimic the details of a wedding dress. The bottom tier was to be draped completely in mmf to look like the bottom of a dress, then a quilted design, corset tier, and top with intricate piping and a monogram.

Unfortunately, I am moving just after the wedding and we decided that it would be best for me not to do the cake.

For the shower, we already have a stiletto shoe theme and I was making a pillow cake topped with the shoe from the invitation. Her colors are black white and red. The shoe is mostly red.

Is there any way to combine these two designs for her shower so she still gets some of her 'dress' cake she wanted so much??? Just felt like the red shoe would seem weird with the white dress cake...? But if I went with a white shoe, I am not sure the bridal party would be as happy because of the red shoe plan. Sorry so long....

(and I dont care if the amount of servings is excessive)
Any suggestions???????????????
LL
LL

27 replies
steffla Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 28

Hello out there!!!

Anyone ...anyone....

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:19pm
post #3 of 28

you can make something like the bottom tier with fabric, folding it round. maybe you could sit the pillow/ shoe on top of that? or stick with cake and fondant. it could be white bottome tier, pink pillow, and red shoe.
are you still doing the shower cake? you could do a corset style handbag to go behind the shoe? just incorporates more of the dress ideas.
xx

steffla Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 28

Yes , i am still doing the shower cake. I love the idea of the corset style handbag...I have never seen one! Would love to see a pic! Great ideas. I am planning on doing the dress bottom tier from fondant not fabric. Just trying to incorporate the color without it looking weird. Thanks for the answers. Would love other opinions as well!

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:24pm
post #5 of 28

I think that the red shoe on top of the dress cake would look really good! It shows kind of her wild side while still elegant and beautiful!

I say GO FOR IT!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 4:52pm
post #7 of 28

Thanks for all the ideas!! I love the corset handbag too but I am not confident enough in my carving that I feel like I could make that look as good as it should!! Do you think I could incorporate red touches into the dress cake to help the shoe on top "blend" into the theme? Maybe red strings on the corset and red roses placed sporadically...think that would look tacky???

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 5:07pm
post #8 of 28

i think that sounds great, especially the rose idea. you could always lie the corset bag flat, it might not feel so daunting then?
xx

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 5:40pm
post #9 of 28

My thoughts on your dilemma: do the draped bottom tier in white, second tier is pillow(slightly smaller) with red and then black trim, shoe on top as shown in invitation...especially with the leapord print inside icon_wink.gif to incorporate some red or black under the bottom tier just make the board those colors!

unless this is what you were thinking of already? lol

steffla Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 11:40pm
post #10 of 28

Steponmi I like the sound of that design. That is a bit different than I was thinking and I LIKE it!

And brincess, you are right. If I do the bag lying down it would not seem so scary!

Love getting opinions from someone outside of my own head, lol!

step0nmi Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 11:59pm
post #11 of 28

all right! thumbs_up.gif

you know...you could just do a rounded bag without carving. like do your round cake (like an 8") cut it in half and then lay the flat side down and put some bc in the middle and stick them together! that is really easy to do and still looks like a nice purse after you have everything together.

Hope this helps! icon_biggrin.gif

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 12:14am
post #12 of 28

I think the shoe would look great on top, who cares what anyone thinks, she knows why the shoe is red! That is really what it is all about, giving her what she wants! I think the dress design on the bottom then the pillow on top of that and then the RED shoe would look great!!!

Becscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Becscakes Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 10:01am
post #13 of 28

Im thinking a pillow cake with the Red shoe on top and some gathered fondant to look like the bottom of her dress draped over one side of the pillow cake. kind of like the dress was folded under the pillow.

steffla Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 4:29pm
post #14 of 28

Becscakes, I am having a bit of trouble visualizing it but I really like where you are going with this. Like you said though, Maybe I could still do the pillow cake with the shoe but make the dress an accent of sorts on or near the pillow, sort of draped on the board.....hmmm.....I'll keep thinking and sketching!!! Thanks!

Becscakes Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:30am
post #15 of 28

Steffla, i made this quick sketch, i hope this helps alittle in visualizing what i mean. Sorry about the pic its just a very quick sketch...
LL

step0nmi Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:33am
post #16 of 28

that's an awesome sketch thumbs_up.gif

Becscakes Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:37am
post #17 of 28

Thanks step0nmi, i like to always do a quick sketch before i make anything, that way you can kind of tell if its going to look ok or not...

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:59am
post #18 of 28

You could also make a corset handbag out of gumpaste & have it next to the shoe. That way you could incorporate the corset too. You know that handbags & shoes go together!

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:09am
post #19 of 28

Becscakes...love your sketch! thumbs_up.gif

step0nmi Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 3:09pm
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

You could also make a corset handbag out of gumpaste & have it next to the shoe. That way you could incorporate the corset too. You know that handbags & shoes go together!

oh! that's a nice idea too!

I like to make drawings and design cakes in photoshop! Maybe I could help out in this area too icon_wink.gif

step0nmi Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:08pm
post #21 of 28

here is what I like to play with, adobe icon_lol.gif it's an old version so it's not that great.

I think Becscakes sketch was GREAT! and I like to do that too. Here was my idea for you just in case you forgot icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif
LL

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 10:02pm
post #22 of 28

This cake has a shoe in it, was base on the invitation card. This cake was done at a very popular cake shop here in Miami.

lomikesa
LL

steffla Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 2:25am
post #23 of 28

WOW!!! I missed the computer for less than 24 hrs and came back to so much1!! Thank you all for your responses and posted pics! Becscakes and Steponmi (LOL) those sketches are fabulous and really help me. I love the idea of the draped bottom tier because that is what my sister saw and loved,,,,but now that I saw the other sketch,... I LOVE the dress draped on the pillow!!!!! Omg what to do?! I am so excited and love all the feedback from this community. thank you for taking the time to sketch and photoshop for me, that is so kind!

steffla Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:46am
post #24 of 28

okay, so I think this is what I want to do. I love becscakes design so I want to go with that but I think I may stack two pillows so the dress can drape down the side and still give that effect. What d'ya think? Of course I have never done a pillow cake before so thats the next dilemna but....

Becscakes Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:59am
post #25 of 28

That sound great, i think its going to look really nice... Im glad i was able to help!
I've seen an article on cc on how to make a pillow cake, im not sure how to create links yet, but if you search for it im sure it will come up.

step0nmi Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 2:26pm
post #26 of 28

oh wow! I love the look of two pillow cakes!

all you have to do to put a link into your post is open up a new tab in your browser. go to CC again and go to the place you are looking for. after you get to that article or whatever you just copy the link from your browser and then paste the link right into your post icon_lol.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/article66-How-To-Make-A-Pillow-Cake.html

Good Luck!

sabriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabriana Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 2:27pm
post #27 of 28

Pillow cakes are easy! You'll do great - if you are good enough to do a shoe, you'll do a pillow cake no problem. The only trouble I ran into with my last two pillow cakes is that the edges started to fall - I think I cut the edge too thin. If it happens on the day - just serve that piece first.

Good luck - please be sure to post a pic - can't wait to see what you came up with!
thumbs_up.gif

steffla Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 3:56pm
post #28 of 28

Thanks so much, I will definitely post a pic but the shower is in July so it will be a little while. I am going to make the shoe sooner, in case I need a few tries icon_smile.gif so I will post that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%