Glow In The Dark Icing

Decorating By ramzeesgirl Updated 18 Jun 2016 , 11:17am by kstevens

ramzeesgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramzeesgirl Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 29

hello....does anybody know if it's possible to make some of the icing glow in the dark.........and if so ...how? thanks!

28 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 10:52pm
post #2 of 29

lol, okay, I will be watching this one carefully! Would be a great idea for Halloween cupcakes but I cannot begin to understand how you would make an edible glow-in-the-dark icing?? Cool idea tho - there are some smart cookies here so who knows? icon_smile.gif

dsevans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsevans Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 11:06pm
post #3 of 29

hmmm, i am gonna research how to make an icing work but i know using tonic water when cooking jello makes it glow in the dark under black light.

dsevans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsevans Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 11:08pm
post #4 of 29

i wonder if mixing in the edible glow in the darl body powder would work....something to try!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 11:15pm
post #5 of 29

hum...thats an awesome idea. I'll research a little later. If there are blacklights, just plain ol' white icing will glow, but thats not exactly glow in the dark.

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 11:20pm
post #6 of 29

glow in the dark body paint maybe?

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 11:21pm
post #7 of 29

I would think if you start with an ultra-white buttercream it should glow under a blacklight.

Additionally any neon colors tinted from ultra-white bc should at least look glow in the dark under a blacklight.

I'm not sure though that you'll be able to achieve icing so GITD that when you turn the lights off it glows. That would be along the lines of radioactive! icon_eek.gif

So my advice is if you've got any ultra-white bc try putting it under a blacklight...

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 11:42pm
post #8 of 29

I like morselsbymark's idea....be neat to see if that would work. They are definitely edible.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 12:14am
post #9 of 29

Check this out:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-Edible-Glowing-UV-Reactive-JELLO/?&sort=NEWEST&limit=50&offset=50

It uses TONIC WATER. Apparently it has something called Quinine which glows under a black light. This is a VERY intriguing idea.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 12:34am
post #10 of 29

Well, I found a way to do it. Problem is that the FDA hasn't approved it for human consumption yet.

There is however "H2O Glow." You mix two things together and the water glows. It SAYS that it cannot be marketed for consumption so what you do with this info is up to you.

http://www.prolume.com/Biolume/BIOLUME.HTM

http://www.biotoy.com/

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 10:58pm
post #11 of 29

I don't want to be a human ginnea pig, and I don't want to sell a cake to a client that I am not 100% safe. I think I'll pass on the biolume. But I think the ultra-white icing would work under blacklight (as well as the neons).

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 11:22pm
post #12 of 29

In one of the Food Network Cake Challenges last year one of the contestants used something that glows in the dark but I can't for the life of me remember what it was .... maybe a google or bing search would help you to find it.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 11:41pm
post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyTW

In one of the Food Network Cake Challenges last year one of the contestants used something that glows in the dark but I can't for the life of me remember what it was .... maybe a google or bing search would help you to find it.

It was tonic water.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:12am
post #14 of 29

The neons won't glow under blacklight as they do not contain fluorescent compounds.

This was discussed in detail in a previous thread:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-655941-.html

The upshot is, mix tonic water with piping gel and it will fluoresce under a blacklight.

ckckhome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckckhome Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 12:20am
post #15 of 29

In the last cake standing challenge Mary created a neon super fly character maybe you can go to the foodnetwork site and see when the show will be repeated.

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 1:19am
post #16 of 29

It was a mixture of tonic water (quinine) and piping gel that was used on the food network challenge

customcakesupplies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
customcakesupplies Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 1:14am
post #17 of 29

Here a great website for edible glow in the dark information.
http://chemistry.about.com/b/2007/03/05/glow-in-the-dark-drinks.htm

sunnyotter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunnyotter Posted 7 Feb 2013 , 8:44pm
post #18 of 29

it is tonic water that makes frosting "glow" blue in a black light. just dont add too much cause its bitter. one recipe i found is 1c. shortening  1 tsp clear vanilla extract, 6cups. powder sugar, 3/4 c. tonic water. if you color the frosting you wont see any other color under the black light but blue

LisaBerczel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaBerczel Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 1:11am
post #19 of 29

There is a difference between Glow in the Dark and Black Light Reactive.

Check the FDA color list if there are any doubts.

Many Food Items are Black Light reacitve - such as tonic water.... and easy to determine if you have a hand-held UV bulb.

As far as the green glow in the dark - I highly doubt it is FDA.

I'm an experienced body painter - and DO NOT advise using body paint as a food color.

Non-Toxic vs Cosmetic vs Food are different category of pigment.

MUDDY828 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MUDDY828 Posted 28 May 2013 , 8:08pm
post #20 of 29

Yes glow in the dark frosting is possible. The frosting has about 5 T tonic water and the jello 1 C tonic water. After your frosted cupcakes are in the freezer for awhile and you have made your jello with tonic water you dip the cupcakes and return them to the freezer. They have to be dipped and frozen 4-6 times each, returning them to the freezer each time. Don't take the whole tray of cupcakes out of the freezer, do it one at a time. You will still need a black light to make them glow, but with the jello dipping you can get a lot of great colors. Google glow in the dark frosting for recipes avail. online.

busmiller Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busmiller Posted 24 Feb 2016 , 3:44am
post #21 of 29

We did a glow party cake at Your Sweet Surrender Bakery and tried using Tonic water in many different ways, we finally had success with the spice Turmeric and chocolate candy melts.  We sprinkled just a little bit of the spice when thinning the chocolate with shortening, the only thing is that it mainly glows one color with a slight variation in different colored chocolates. This still made a wonderful addition to the party.[postimage id="2655" thumb="900"]

https://flic.kr/p/Er9v84

busmiller Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busmiller Posted 26 Feb 2016 , 4:39am
post #22 of 29

Sara718 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sara718 Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 4:21pm
post #23 of 29

busmiller... how much turmeric did you use? Did you use white or dark chocolate? Just wondering whats the best way to do glow in the dark splatter cupcakes!? Any tips would help... Thanks!!

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 4:43pm
post #24 of 29

I have usd Rolkem Lumo Gel painted on fondant that glowed under UV light and also worked OK under black light.  I haven't tried mixing it in icing but it should work.  This is the description of the product:

"Due to the addition of Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), the colours will glow under ultraviolet light! Add them to buttercream, fondant, gumpaste or paint with them to create spectacular glowing edible products! These colours will not fade even under direct sunlight, require no shaking prior to use, they have no aftertaste, and do not contain any sugar or glycerine.

EDIBLE This colour contains colours which ARE approved for food use by Health Canada and by the FDA.. This food colour is approved for use in food in the UK and other countries in the European Union."

Hope that helps.  You can see the cake I did in my gallery of cakes.

Sara718 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sara718 Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 5:22pm
post #25 of 29

Is it safe for young kids to have?

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 8:54pm
post #26 of 29

Rolkem colors are NOT approved by the FDA. Period.  Many Rolkem colors contain additives that are BANNED for use on/on food by the FDA.  The labeling of Rolkem colors does not meet FDA requirements.  At best, in the US, they may qualify for use as a non-toxic product for use only on decorations that will be removed and not eaten.

kstevens Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 9:04pm
post #27 of 29

Interesting.  I was merely going by what was on the website of the company I purchased the gel from.

@maybenot ‍out of curiosity, what is the source of your information?

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 17 Jun 2016 , 2:21am
post #28 of 29

I worked with the FDA last year to get an advisory issued regarding non-toxic dusts:

http://www.fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPackagingLabeling/FoodAdditivesIngredients/ucm481466.htm

When the Rolkem dusts began to infiltrate the US market, I researched the "E number" ingredients listed on the labels because we don't use E numbers on labeling in the US.  Additionally, I called my contact at the FDA who verified for me that no real metals are approved for use on foods in the US [so Rolkem metallics with E174/silver or E175/gold would not be approved].  Color additives in the US must use FDA certified colors and/or GRAS/approved additives.  Many Rolkem dusts, including several of the Lumos use things like E124/ponceau, and some of the other banned additives on this chart.

http://importedfoods.afdo.org/food-color-additives-banned-in-the-usa.html

She also confirmed that the labeling is non-compliant because of the use of E numbers, so food producers who might use the colors would not be able to properly label their own products.

I also contacted a US retailer who told me over 6 months ago that the dusts were "in the process of getting FDA approval".  The FDA produces a 2 year long list of companies seeking color additive approvals.  Rolkem is not on that list and with the use of real metals and banned additives.............well, you get the gist.  That retailer has now changed her product descriptions to indicate that in the US, the dusts are to be considered only non-toxic  AND, she has never gotten any paperwork or indication that the dusts are compliant with FDA regulations.

For the best retail descriptions I have found in my exhaustive online research, where you will find some colors that indicate that they are "made from colours approved for food use by Health Canada and by the FDA", BUT, the labeling remains non compliant for use in the US.  The FDA states that when using Riboflavin to color food, "(d) Labeling. The label of the color additive shall conform to the requirements of 70.25 of this chapter."  Note that NONE of the Lumo colors state that they contain Riboflavin..................:

http://www.flourconfections.com/cerise-semi-con-lumo-rolkem-p-5797.html         

vs.

http://www.flourconfections.com/arc-chrome-semi-con-lumo-rolkem-p-5788.html

Re: Riboflavin

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=73.450

kstevens Posted 18 Jun 2016 , 11:17am
post #29 of 29

@maybenot ‍ thank you for all of that information.  I am in Canada and have a feeling that maybe the regulations are different here?  That or what Flour Confections has on their (Canadian) website is false advertisement as that is where I took the description from that I posted earlier.  It states edible.  Always an interesting topic as to what is approved for consumption in different countries.  Again, I thank you for your time in writing your reply :-) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%