? How To Attach Fondant Appliques To Crusted Buttercream

Decorating By sandy1 Updated 22 Feb 2009 , 7:09pm by sandy1

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a cake icied in buttercream icing. The customer wants fondant appliques added to the sides of the cake. She doesn't like fondant so doesn't want the cake covered with it. What is the best way to attach fondant cut-outs (I have allowed them to dry) to the crusted buttercream without having them slide down and off the cake? I'm worried that just adding piping gel to the back of the applique isn't going to be secure enough. Should I use something else to secure them to the cake??? Does anyone have advice for me?
Thanks,
Sandy

6 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 3:04pm
post #2 of 7

For that, I would use gum glue. Mix a little tylose powder with water until it dissolves. Or, dissolve a small piece of gumpaste in some hot water. Or, if you have gumpaste mix, dissolve a little of that in some water.

Less is more with gum glue. You want it tacky, so just a smear is all you need. If you apply too much, it will be slippery and your pieces will slide off.

If your appliques are relatively heavy, insert a couple of toothpicks under the appliques to hold them on while the gum glue dries. Then, pull out the toothpicks.

sandy1 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 7

I've used gum glue for fondant appliques on fondant. This will also work on buttercream??? Thanks!
Sandy

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy1

I've used gum glue for fondant appliques on fondant. This will also work on buttercream??? Thanks!
Sandy

Absolutely!!

Here's an example. The fondant swags are glued to buttercream. Since they were made in a mold, they have flat backs, providing more surface area - which is good. However, the extra fondant makes them heavier - which could be bad. Yet, the gum glue held them on perfectly.
LL

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 3:33pm
post #5 of 7

The gum glue will work as well as the piping gel, the wetness will soften the crust enough to stay there. The only reason it would fall if is the piece is to thick and gets to heavy. Just press it slightly and you will be fine.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 3:34pm
post #6 of 7

If it is small...I use a paint brush with water...If it is heavy or on something airbrushed I use a dab of piping gel.

sandy1 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 7:09pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks so much everyone!!! I'm working on the cake right now so I'm very grateful you responded to my questions so quickly. This site is so wonderful!!!
Sandy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%