What Does This Cake Need On Top? Help!

Decorating By kelleym Updated 3 Mar 2009 , 3:24pm by sameera

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 3:22am
post #1 of 45

This is my entry for the Austin Cake Show next week. I feel pretty proud of it, considering I've only been able to work on it in 2 minute increments due to having a 6 month old baby who doesn't want to be put down (ever) and doesn't take naps. icon_cry.gif

There are things that could be better, but at this point I don't have time to re-do anything, I'm just hoping to get it finished. I need to make GP roses for all the gathering points of the blue swags, and all the meeting points between the bottom and second tiers.

But here's where I'm stumped...what do I put on top? Originally it was going to be a royal icing tiara, but having made two that didn't look so hot, and both broke coming off the can anyway, that's probably not going to happen. So what's left? A dressmaker's-type (two-loop) bow? A big loopy bow? Flowers? Any ideas? Any suggestions overall? I need my CC friends to help me out!!!!
LL

44 replies
TTran Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TTran Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 3:33am
post #2 of 45

Have you thought about making a larger version of the flower with petals you have going around the tier that is next to the bottom tier?

Very beautiful and unique cake by the way.

Good luck!!!

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 3:37am
post #3 of 45

what about a mound of roses?

VSP2205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VSP2205 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 3:39am
post #4 of 45

Beautiful cake, I think you should definately put white flowers on top.

Good luck, I hope you do well

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 3:39am
post #5 of 45

I too was going to suggest a larger version of the flower on the next to bottom layer.

Edited to add good luck next week. Your cake is gorgeous. I wouldn't be able to do that, and especially with a baby to tend too.

Brontecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brontecakes Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 3:40am
post #6 of 45

what about a slender vase with some long stem white roses with ribbon etc.
It is a beautiful cake thumbs_up.gif

Please repost when you are done. Would love to see the finished product...and let everyone know how you did in the show. icon_biggrin.gif

(gee it would be good if I could spell correctly the first time) lol

ShabbyChic_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 3:40am
post #7 of 45

Maybe some floral wire with some balls in it, I think it looks good the way it is, you don't want to take from the beauty of it, something too big it could be distracting and something too small would look not to scale.

Sorry I'm not much help.

meldancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meldancer Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 3:43am
post #8 of 45

Have you ever seen Pink Cake Box cakes? They put huge feathers into the top of some of their cakes and it really makes a statement. Something like that would be cool!

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 3:44am
post #9 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTran

Have you thought about making a larger version of the flower with petals you have going around the tier that is next to the bottom tier?

One big giant flower on top would look beautiful!

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 3:49am
post #10 of 45

I say one large flower, similar to those on that bottom tier, or a sphere of flowers.

My sis who's assisting me tonight says a flower shaped jewelry box with pearls coming out or Calla Lilies.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 3:59am
post #11 of 45

it is so stunning already. every suggestion sounds like the best idea. I am no use but I do love the cake! and a itty bitty baby to "help" out? Never could have done it.

Dear Hubby suggestion is a Tiffany box with a ring? IDK,

angelcakesbyerika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakesbyerika Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 4:00am
post #12 of 45

I think you should go with the tiara on top but use gumpaste instead. I just made one this morning and it dried in time for a afternoon pick up so I know you should have plenty of time to get this done. I have a 15mth old who I JUST got weaned off of breast milk and he never liked for me to do anything without him riding my hip. But dont worry, their is light at the end of that tunnel. Unfortunately they dont stay little for long and you will be longing for those days back. But it is frustrating when you are trying to get a cake done. Just make the tiara out of gumpaste. I let mine dry over a half of a "ball pan" covered in wax paper. then I covered it in shimmery disco glitter luster dust. It turned out beautiful. But if not the tiara I think you should do some large roses...good luck you have a beautiful cake! thumbs_up.gif

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 4:05am
post #13 of 45

It's gorgeous! My vote is for a big flower, I think a ball of white roses would look really nice or one giant peony would be cool too.

Good Luck!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 4:34am
post #14 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by VSP2205

Beautiful cake, I think you should definately put white flowers on top.

I agree with the white flowers beause it continues the color pattern.

It's an awesome cake. I look at this cake and think, "debi you have some nerve calling yourself a cake decorator compared to this creation!"

Keep raising that bar for all of us!! thumbs_up.gif

kelleym Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 4:48am
post #15 of 45

Well, of course you all are right, it needs flowers on the top. I was hoping everybody would say "of course a loopy bow!" because that's my thing, but I know you are right. I've never really been trained in GP flowers beyond making fondant roses in Wilton 3, so my flowers are really just...adequate. They're nothing special, so I was hoping to avoid it. icon_rolleyes.gif No such luck I guess. icon_lol.gif

I will post pics when it's done. icon_smile.gif

bananabread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bananabread Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 4:50am
post #16 of 45

I would put a bow,

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 8:40am
post #17 of 45

I think a huge white gumpaste rose!

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 9:01am
post #18 of 45

If you want something really different, how about a white, siloutte style figurine (sitting, looking down) of a lady's body? It's out there, but when I look at your cake, it makes me think of that. It's such a beautiful, feminine cake

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:09am
post #19 of 45

Beautiful cake!!

icantcook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icantcook Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:35am
post #20 of 45

How about a gumpaste phone number for Rep. Gattis' office in some sort of intricate font? icon_biggrin.gif

Just kidding.

I agree with the white flowers. I am afraid a bow would take away from the pretty drape work you have on there already. Flowers would tie the top to the other tiers going down.

It is beautiful. Good luck!

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:46am
post #21 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaniescakenj

It's gorgeous! My vote is for a big flower, I think a ball of white roses would look really nice or one giant peony would be cool too.

Good Luck!

I like this idea.... icon_smile.gif

kelleym Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:50am
post #22 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by icantcook

How about a gumpaste phone number for Rep. Gattis' office in some sort of intricate font? icon_biggrin.gif

Just kidding.

Don't tempt me icon_lol.gif

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:51am
post #23 of 45

Kelley, that cake is gorgeous. Please post a pic when it is finished!

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:54am
post #24 of 45

Yes, I agree...it's a very beautiful cake! thumbs_up.gif

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:55am
post #25 of 45

I like the idea of a gumpaste tiara - since that was your original idea, just a different medium.

I also like the idea of white flowers/flower.

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 4:18am
post #26 of 45

When I see your cake, I think of flowers in a vase made from gumpaste or fondant...similar to the attached (but not sure if you would have enough time for the vase to dry)...
LL

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 4:21am
post #27 of 45

By the way...I just found the website...want to give proper credit to the owner of this cake...

http://www.kathydvorski.com/weddingcakes01.html

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 4:26am
post #28 of 45

I really like the vase idea, what about the vase with the pearls drapeing (sp) over the sides.
I love your cake by the way, I wish you all the luck in the world!!!!!

lasdulzurasdelaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lasdulzurasdelaura Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 4:41am
post #29 of 45

I think that some roses would be the perfect topper for this cake.

Good luck!!! icon_biggrin.gif

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 2:19pm
post #30 of 45

I would say a bow to match the drapes AND some flowers. That would bring the look together.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%