Mmf Experts - What Brand Mm Do You Use?

Decorating By lostincake Updated 23 Feb 2009 , 10:08pm by jouj

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 9:56pm
post #1 of 24

I've used several different brands and find the resulting MMF is different depending on the MM used.

For example, when I use Wal-Mart's store brand I end up with very small clear jelly-like globs that cannot be kneaded away (not the same as the powdered sugar lumps that if left to rest, end up dissolving). When I've used Fireside marshmallows, I end up with more of a paste like consistency regardless of how much PS is used, and it tends to tear. With Kraft, it's more "elasticy" and not so pliable so it seems to want to go back to the shape it was rolled out to instead of conforming to the shape of the cake.

I'm just wondering for those that use MMF primarily or even exclusively, which brand of marshmallows have you found works best for you? Which brand do you have the most luck with?

Any insight would be helpful. TIA.

23 replies
fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 24

Thats funny, I find the same exact outcome. I have the best results with Safeway Brand believe it or not! Kraft is too elasticy for me. Have you tried safeway yet?

jouj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jouj Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 10:07pm
post #3 of 24

I don't know if you have the same brands we have here, but I've tried Little Becky's marshmallow, and I didn't like it, it didn't easily absorb the powdered sugar. Then I used Beacon marshmallows, and they worked perfectly. They're fluffy after i microwave them, mix easiyl, and quickly absorb the powdered sugar. What I like the most, is that after I roll it, I can lift it to the cake without distorting. I don't always find it here, so when I found a box of 40 bags yesterday, I didn't hesitate to get it all.

Hope this helps.

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 10:19pm
post #4 of 24

I use No Name brand - they come in a huge bag and it's a much better deal.

fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 10:30pm
post #5 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastryjen

I use No Name brand - they come in a huge bag and it's a much better deal.

No Name? Where do you get it from? I never heard of it and what is the cost?

pastryjen Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 10:46pm
post #6 of 24

No Name - from Loblaws, Real Canadian Superstore, No Frills!

Fondant Frenzy, are you a canuck? Maybe you are from out west because we don't have Safeway around here anymore.

sugarplumfairycanada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarplumfairycanada Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 10:49pm
post #7 of 24

Hi,
I use the No Name brand too from Superstore. I buy the big yellow bag and get it for $4.98 or $3.98 if on sale for a 1.36 kg bag.

Hello all you fellow canucks!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 10:52pm
post #8 of 24

I use walmart brand and haven't had the "jelly bloob" problem. Are you microwaving long enough? Too long? Using enough water?

sjbeatty8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjbeatty8 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 11:07pm
post #9 of 24

I swear by Kroger brand... they actually come in a 16oz bag which I like because I dont have to measure and every time its perfect. I have tried kraft brand and I dont like the outcome.. too hard to roll out.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 11:14pm
post #10 of 24

I use Wal Mart brand exclusively. The only time I noticed clear gelatin-y pieces was when I first tried adding salt to my MMF.

I learned not to add it to the MMs until after they are melted, and to use popcorn salt (or grind it yourself in a clean coffee grinder).

Jet Puffed is just weird - a big rubbery blob.

lostincake Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 11:41pm
post #11 of 24

Thanks for everyone's input!

>I'm gonna give the No Name brand a try...I'm a Canuck so know exactly which one you are talking about pastryjen! icon_biggrin.gif...
>Unfortunately, we don't have Safeway here so won't be able to try those...
>Will try Beacon brand if I ever come across it - sounds good to me...
>Yeah, Jet puffed doesn't work for me either...

Wal-Mart brand now seems to be hit or miss. I microwave for up to 2 mins in 30 sec intervals until the MMs are all puffed and melty. Made some with Wal-Mart brand just after posting this and it was perfect this time, no blobs...go figure LOL!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 11:55pm
post #12 of 24

vin - I dont ever have to microwave longer than 1 min 30 secs at 30 second intervals. Are you stirring in between?

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 12:00am
post #13 of 24

I use Publix brand and I love the way it turns out.

MacsMom Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 12:05am
post #14 of 24

I never micro mine more than 1 min 20 secs, either...

pastryjen Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 12:26am
post #15 of 24

I did mine about 2 - 2:30 today - stirred in between. All microwaves are different!

lostincake Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 6:42am
post #16 of 24

Yes...stirring between and it usually doesn't take the full 2 mins...sometimes more sometimes less depending on brand of MM.

Thanks again...I think it's the odd batch of MMs or something since today's was perfectly fine and I was using Wal-Mart store brand. Weird huh? icon_biggrin.gif

bigcatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigcatz Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 7:51am
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlin28

I've used several different brands and find the resulting MMF is different depending on the MM used.

For example, when I use Wal-Mart's store brand I end up with very small clear jelly-like globs that cannot be kneaded away (not the same as the powdered sugar lumps that if left to rest, end up dissolving). When I've used Fireside marshmallows, I end up with more of a paste like consistency regardless of how much PS is used, and it tends to tear. With Kraft, it's more "elasticy" and not so pliable so it seems to want to go back to the shape it was rolled out to instead of conforming to the shape of the cake.

I'm just wondering for those that use MMF primarily or even exclusively, which brand of marshmallows have you found works best for you? Which brand do you have the most luck with?

I just used the walmart brand marshmallows for the first time and while kneading it found those little plastic like balls in it too. I kept pulling them out wondering what the heck they were. Now I know it's the marshmallows. I personally prefer the campfire brand, but have used a lot of different brands and besides the walmart brand never had any trouble with my mmf.

MacsMom Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 4:10pm
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlin28

I just used the walmart brand marshmallows for the first time and while kneading it found those little plastic like balls in it too. I kept pulling them out wondering what the heck they were. Now I know it's the marshmallows. I personally prefer the campfire brand, but have used a lot of different brands and besides the walmart brand never had any trouble with my mmf.

I wonder if they close to the expiration date?

jouj Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 12:27pm
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarplumfairycanada

Hi,
I use the No Name brand too from Superstore. I buy the big yellow bag and get it for $4.98 or $3.98 if on sale for a 1.36 kg bag.

Hello all you fellow canucks!

Wow, I envy you, I buy the Beacon brand for $1.14 for a bag of 130gr!!!!

By the way, I never microvae it for more than 1 minute. I just put the whole bag in a bowl, add a bit of water (without measuring), and microwave around 1 minute, then stir it, and then gradually add powdered sugar while stirring. Then I knead for around 2 minutes and that's it!! So quick.

Don't want to seem stupid, but what does "canucks" mean?? icon_redface.gif

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 12:45pm
post #20 of 24

I've always used Jet Puffed (heard once that you should use a name brand?) and never had any problems. Maybe I'll try a generic brand just to compare and see if I can tell a difference. I always mix mine up in the mixer with the dough hook. Makes it really easy to add color. Dump the melted mm in the bowl, add the color, then the ps. Knead by hand briefly after the ps is mixed in. Done! I grease the bowl and dough hook with Crisco before starting and clean up is much easier!

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 12:49pm
post #21 of 24

My batches turn out very well doing what the posters ahead of me have described. However, last week I learned an important lesson: the batch was a mess.....ps wouldn't absorb well and what resulted was very grainy and coarse. Problem (it took me a little while to figure out)---stale marshmallows. Pay attention to how fresh the mms are. Common sense, I know, but something to remember!

pastryjen Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 12:54pm
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jouj

Canadians! thumbs_up.gif

lostincake Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 6:09pm
post #23 of 24

Oh My!! Didn't know MMs had expiry dates LOL.

Although I usually buy only the amount I need and use them right away, it's still good to know that (so thanks MacsMom & sweetjan) - maybe the store is stocking expired items. I've never checked the expiry date since I assumed they would be fresh if they are being sold but I guess it could happen.

jouj Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 10:08pm
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastryjen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jouj

Canadians! thumbs_up.gif

Thanks for the explanation icon_smile.gif . I should have guessed, my neighbor, who's a dear friend, is a "canuck" icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%