Help...cake Didn't Come Out, What Would You Do?? (Long)

Decorating By bizatchgirl Updated 26 Feb 2009 , 3:00am by bizatchgirl

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 12:39pm
post #1 of 14

I use Cake Doctor cookbook. I'm using a recipe I've used tons of times...my problem is that I found that I didn't have any oil. Many of her recipes call for melted butter in place of the normal amount of oil, so I thought I would substitute (which I also now do any time I make a boxed cake). Well for this recipe there's definitely a reason it calls for oil and not melted butter. The cake came out like crap! It's some weird, hard rubbery texture.

The cake is due for delivery at 12p today. It's only 6a, but I am a VERY slow decorator, which is why I've been up since 4 to bake the cake. I'm afraid if I re-bake, it will cut so far into my decorating time that the decorating will lose a lot of quality and just look horrible.

What I'm thinking is...I already have a baked cake, and I already have to re-bake. What if I just decorate the crap cake and do a simple ice job on my re-bake? That way I don't lose any time on decorating.

It's for a co-worker, who I did the Rocket cake for in my photos. I've only done one cake for her before, but they loved it so much, I think they would be a little forgiving.

13 replies
terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 12:58pm
post #2 of 14

If you think she'll be okay with it then do that, call and explain the situation to her. You could give her the cake at a substantial discount as well if you're okay with that.
HTH

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:17pm
post #3 of 14

I'm not sure what type of design this cake was going to be, but if you think it would be pushing for time due to details, etc., I think your best bet would be to decorate "butter-rubber" cake as you had planned, then bake another cake to serve with filling and icing only. Especially if she is a co-worker, I am sure she would be more than understanding.
~ Jaime

bizatchgirl Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 14

Thanks guys! I ended up tossing the cake. Well, I sent it with my mom to give to the guys she works with. They'll eat anything!! icon_rolleyes.gif

I was too mortified to make rubber cake for looks, and another cake to serve. I don't know why, they do it all the time at weddings with dummies, right? At least according to all those idiots advising the brides that dummies are cheaper icon_biggrin.gif

So, I made a lot of my decorations in advance. Hopefully they'll still adhere to the cake. I always worry about my decorations drying flat when I'm making a round cake icon_confused.gif

It's 20 after 9 now and I still have to fill, ice and cover with fondant. I think I might make it icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 4:20pm
post #5 of 14

Sorry ladies I disagree. Every cake that leaves your shop should be to the highest standards. I would definitely bake another cake, there is no way I'd allow a cake in that condition to be associated with my name.

In this situation you could call the client and ask for another hour, I'm sure she'd be willing to accommodate your request when it means she'll be receiving a great cake.

For future cakes, don't bake, ice and decorate all in the same day, especially if you know it takes you a while to decorate. Why put the pressure on yourself? There are way too many things that could go wrong.

Sorry for your mishap, I hope it turned out ok in the end.

EDIT to add, just saw your update, we must have been typing at the same time. Anyway, you did the right thing baking another. Good decision! thumbs_up.gif

bizatchgirl Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 14

Thanks dkelly, and yes, I should know by now not to bake the same day I'm decorating. I was planning to bake yesterday but my friend ended up having a surprise birthday party for her boyfriend (whom I've known for 15 years). And stupid me, I had to open my mouth and volunteer to make the cake. So, that's what I did yesterday, making me behind for the whole weekend icon_cry.gif

Next time someone invites me to a party tapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.gif

I'll bring a veggie tray from the grocery store icon_lol.gif

Deb_ Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 5:05pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizatchgirl

Next time someone invites me to a party tapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.gif

I'll bring a veggie tray from the grocery store icon_lol.gif

Pass the duct tape when you're finished covering your mouth, I'll also need it! icon_biggrin.giftapedshut.gif Aren't we all gluttons for punishment? I just did the same thing with a cake for my SIL's 60th. I know damn well that it'll be pushing it for the weekend my niece wants it, I have 3 other cakes for the same day. It may not sound like a lot to some, but I am a full time hairdresser, cakes are supposed to be my "part-time stress reliever".

Instead of just offering a simple cake, I kept getting myself into more hot water, by offering a Teapot, sugar, and creamer and cupcake teacups for 36. icon_eek.gif I couldn't stop my mouth from speaking, it was like a demon had gotten inside me and took over my mind. icon_rolleyes.gif

bizatchgirl Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 5:53pm
post #8 of 14

Yes, we are definitely cut from the same cloth. The conversation regarding the surprise party went like this:

Me: Oh, do you need me to bring something?
Friend: Yes, we are asking everybody to bring something, whatever you want to bring
Me: What are you doing for a cake?
Friend: (who doesn't cook at all) I'm going to try to make a cake that looks like a glass of Guinness. Ice the bottom with chocolate, the top with buttercream.
Me: Oh, do you know they have a Guinness cake recipe, I'll find it and send it to you. And oh, do you know you could print an image and laminate it so you have the logo. Oh, I wish I could do it but I'm so, so busy this weekend.
Friend: Oh, that's ok, I already have it planned out.
Me: No, no, no, I really really want to do it. I'll make a Guinness cake to look like a glass of Guinness.

Then because we didn't bring a gift (considering the cake as the gift), we STILL bought a meat platter!

Just shoot me!

Deb_ Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 10:34pm
post #9 of 14

They should probably offer classes for people like us........"How to attend a function and NOT make the cake for it" icon_lol.gif Really, I don't go around insisting that I cut everyone's hair, it's just the cake thing I can't controlicon_razz.gif

Oh well, I'm sure your friend really appreciated you making the awesome cake, you're too much though..........cake AND a meat platter, you are as bad as me icon_biggrin.gif Some may say we're generous to a fault, but hey, we just like to give, right? The way I look at it is, if I'm going to a party and I'm going to eat cake it may as well be great cake! icon_lol.gif

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 10:48pm
post #10 of 14

Or look at it this way......you are one really wonderful friend! And I mean that sincerely! She's lucky to have you in her life, and I hope she knows that!
Hope the party's fun for you!!

bizatchgirl Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 3:05am
post #11 of 14

Sweetjan, that's a very sweet way of looking at it. And they did greatly appreciate it. And in a few days when I'm recovered from my 4 cakes I will know it was all worth it because of the reactions I got icon_biggrin.gif People just couldn't get over the fact that the cake itself had Guinness in it. I don't think they had ever heard of such a thing. The bday boy is a Guinness drinker from way back and this year his bday actually fell on the same day as the Great Guinness Toast, so there was never a chance the theme was going to be anything else icon_lol.gif

Dkelly, if you ever see that class, please sign me up!!! I think with the cakes, it's like I saw in another post, how we feel so special to be a part of the occasion and make such a memorable impact by making a wonderful cake. And when you say, if you're going to eat cake at a paty, it might as well be your own...let me tell you that Guinness cake with a chocolate ganache with a little bit of instant coffee in it...boy was it YUM!!

Deb_ Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 9:16pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizatchgirl

Dkelly, if you ever see that class, please sign me up!!! I think with the cakes, it's like I saw in another post, how we feel so special to be a part of the occasion and make such a memorable impact by making a wonderful cake. And when you say, if you're going to eat cake at a paty, it might as well be your own...let me tell you that Guinness cake with a chocolate ganache with a little bit of instant coffee in it...boy was it YUM!!

I will, we can take it together. LOL! That cake sounds awesome, I hope you washed it down with a cold one!

bizatchgirl Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:23am
post #13 of 14

Actually, no Guinness for me. Had some lab tests come back weird and not allowed to have alcohol or Tylenol for 3 months. I forgot while making the cake and had about 1/2 of beer that didn't go into the cake. I enjoyed it and I don't even like Guinness normally icon_confused.gif Doesn't stand out in your head when the doc says no alcohol if you're a person that only has like 5 or 6 drinks a year!!

Anyway...the cakes finally came out when I switched back to my old standby, from the Cake Doctor book. I'll have to work on the WASC and the Cake Doctor White Chocolate Pound cake another time, when I've forgiven them. icon_biggrin.gif See if I can figure out what went wrong!

As soon as I have the pics uploaded, Ill post all 4 I did from Fri-Sunday. This is my hobby, not a job, so I'm slow, and have lots of other responsibilities and this was the most cakes I've ever made in a week, and I did it in 3 days. I slept for 14 hours last night!!!

Just worked out to be a weird week: surprise birthday party for my friend of 15 years, shower cake for my boyfriend's sis, baby shower cake for the girl who made my step-sister's baby shower cake a few years ago (so kind of returning the favor for my sis), and baby shower cake for a co-worker.

Can't wait until May when my niece, nephew, mom, boyfriend's mom and my co-workers daughter (same co-worker as above shower cake, and I made daughter's last birthday cake) have birthdays within the same week icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif. There's someone else I'm missing I know, because last year I had to tell someone no because of all the cakes I had to do. I'm going to have to convince several of them to have their cake/party the week before or the week after, spread things out a little bit icon_biggrin.gif

And last year my own sis screwed me up by waiting until the last minute to decide to have my nephew's party. If she does it again, she gets no cake. That's my new motto on family not appreciating my time/schedule icon_evil.gificon_mad.gificon_evil.gificon_mad.gif

bizatchgirl Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 3:00am
post #14 of 14

Go see my photos for 3 of the 4 cakes that gave me he!! this weekend. The Guinness cake, diaper bag cake, and the blue green and white cake (I think I called it Gavin's cake). I did not take pics of the 4th as my buttercream sagged when I put the top layer on and I wasn't happy with it. I'm not posting in the gallery, but I'll post my small, poor resolution pics from my phone here.
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%