Inspiration...

Decorating By red0027 Updated 22 Feb 2009 , 9:06am by Brontecakes

red0027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
red0027 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 8:11am
post #1 of 9

Hello, fellow CCers! I'm just curious where you all get your creative genius from? I have seen some beautiful, creative, funky, cool cakes, cupcakes, chocolate and cookies (you name it, we seem to have it) and was wondering where you found the designs and color combos at, if you came up with them on your own, if something inspired you (other then the client), or if it was something entirely different? Thanks!

8 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 9

Everything inspires me. I carry my camera around for that very reason. I've already photographed patio furniture, which I then used as a side design on a birthday cake I did for one of my gal pals.

When I go to New York I look like a tourist, snapping photos here and there. A few weeks ago, riding the bus home, I snapped a photo of a rubber stamp pattern (the person next to me is a stamper, looking at a magazine), because I thought it would make a great sheet cake.

You never know when inspiration is going to hit you, so grab your digital and get out there!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 9:23pm
post #3 of 9

Greeting cards - there are lots of magazines on the mkt for creating your own.....lots of inspiration.
Other cakes postedicon_smile.gif
Books........use the library. Even some of the old books can be made more 'modern' w/a change of color or combining different elements from this card, that wrapping paper, a piece of fabric, a pic in a book.
The internet!...... There are all kinds of pix....cakes, fabric, color pages, other crafts, etc, etc that can suggest an idea, color combo or other help.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 9

I love using CC icon_smile.gif if theres a particular idea in mind icon_smile.gif i search that colour scheeme, i also use alot of google and flickr icon_smile.gif or sometimes , like others, i see pictures in magazines, it might just be a cute toy , and i think' Wow that would look great in fondant and on a cake!' lol

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 9:32pm
post #5 of 9

I usually just look around to find my inspiration. WHatever I see as cool or funky, usually gets transformed into my cakes or paintings.

I saw a sign at our church that had a Christmas ornament hanging from a ribbon and had an idea for cake based on that! Anything is possible with an imagination that is free to create.

red0027 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 8:18am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caths_Cakes

it might just be a cute toy , lol

I would have never thought about toys!!! That is a great idea. Thx!

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 8:32am
post #7 of 9

I just made a cake based on the invitation I designed. Toys are a big inspiration too as are looking at lots of different cakes and taking what I like from each of them. I'm still learning so they still look better in my head than they do in real life - working with fondant is a lot harder than it looks!!!

red0027 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 8:40am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnick

I just made a cake based on the invitation I designed. Toys are a big inspiration too as are looking at lots of different cakes and taking what I like from each of them. I'm still learning so they still look better in my head than they do in real life - working with fondant is a lot harder than it looks!!!

I completely agree about fondant being harder then it looks...at least for me, but then my full time job is the military and when I come home my other full time job is my 4 Huskies and my hubby so finding the time to practice, practice, practice is not easy. My ideas also look better in my head! icon_redface.gif I've just now started drawing out all my "inspirations".

Steph

Brontecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brontecakes Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 9:06am
post #9 of 9

I am inspired by anything and everything. I am always on the look out for something I can make either into a cake or make a decoration for a cake
for example yesterday I bought a little plastic flower suction hook because I thought it would make a nice decoration.
My Harry Potter chess set was inspired by the board game my son had been given.
I have a toy car and my neighbour has an old ceramic boot flower pot and I will make both as cakes eventually.

BTW I started out with fondant 20 odd years ago and I find it much easier that butter cream

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%