Flavor Combos For Kids

Decorating By dsimkovic Updated 22 Feb 2009 , 8:37pm by mirda6275

dsimkovic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsimkovic Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 4:24am
post #1 of 5

I'm making a cake (actually 2 cakes) for my son's Blue & Gold banquet (cub scouts).

There will be about 100 people (kids & adults). I have chocolate mix and vanilla mix. So, I'll make one of each. I'm trying to come up with what to fill them with.

With so many people I should be concerned with allergies (although, I don't think we have any because we took a poll for an upcoming trip and no one said they have any food allergies). I'm also thinking that there could be picky kids & adults, so I didn't want to go "too gourmet". I checked the Gourmet Flavors thread but I'm looking for help on what to serve to so many little kids...

Here's some of my ideas. Let me know if any sound good or if you have any other ideas. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

chocolate cake
- with peanut butter mousse filling (my usual)
- with banana cream filling
- with peanut butter AND banana (this one sounds interesting to me...)
- with raspberry filling
- with peanut butter & raspberry (like peanut butter & jelly)

vanilla cake
- with raspberry filling (another of my usual flavors)
- with raspberry & cheesecake filling (another usual)
- with banana cream
- with strawberry & banana

4 replies
Florimbio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Florimbio Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 1:30am
post #2 of 5

wht about some kind of ookies an cream filling...ir candy bits from candy bars...

mirda6275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mirda6275 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 5

personally, I'd stay away from the peanutbutter when making a cake for that many people. Even though the poll said no one going on the trip had allergies, what about siblings or others that weren't going on the trip. Peanut allergies are severe and very common. Personally, I absolutely love anything pb and chocolate, but I don't make it for others unless they specifically ask for it.

when I've made cakes for my students, they have loved any large sprinkles, common characters (which I realize you probably can't do since it's for a blue and gold). I agree with Florimbio, try candy pieces, i.e. the small M&Ms or jumbo sprinkles or even chocolate pudding.

IMHO, i feel most people just want a good-tasting, moist cake with an icing that also tastes good.[/quote]

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 5

I agree.. I would stay away from anything like PB. When I am making something for a larger event/crowd something just simple and good tasting is best.

Cookies and cream is great! Candy pieces sound yummy too.

mirda6275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mirda6275 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 8:37pm
post #5 of 5

tarheel girl, you are right. I've made the cookies and creme filling from CC's recipe database, and it was delicious! There was nothing left of that cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%