Gumpaste Butterflies

Decorating By pipe-dreams Updated 21 Feb 2009 , 2:34pm by mamacc

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 2:12am
post #1 of 7

Okay, does the search thing just not work for me?! I am making a cake with butterflies and flowers on it, and the customer wants it more real looking than playful. So I figured I should do gumpaste instead of fondant. Now, I have never worked with gumpaste, but I went out and bought the gumtex and glucose today. (the cake is next weekend). Where do I find templates for butterflies and flowers, or do you just use cookie or fondant cutters? If so,do you just free hand the lines on the butterflies? If anyone has made either before, I would appreciate some advise, preferably step by step adviseicon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif I found some royal instructions, but I like the gumpaste look better. TIA. Sorry it's so longicon_smile.gif

6 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 4:27am
post #2 of 7

Do a search for patchwork cutters. You should find what you're looking for in there.

A patchwork cutter not only cuts out the shape, but they also imprint the details of the piece.

Other people just do them with edible markers and wafer paper.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

asimpson2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asimpson2 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 4:37am
post #3 of 7

How would you do them with edible markers? I have tried and they look terrible, all streaky from the markers and they just don't look right.

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 6:45am
post #4 of 7

Sugar, thanks for the link, that's exactly what I needed! If I do the butterfly and cut it out, do I use the edible markers for coloring, or how would I make the butterflies colorful?

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 2:07pm
post #6 of 7

I would paint them with a variety of media. If I was using regular colors, then I would paint a bit of luster dust here and there, to give them some shimmer.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 2:34pm
post #7 of 7

I recently made a cake with butterflies and a flower topper. I used cookie cutters for the butterflies and piped royal icing on them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%