How Do I Color Fondant?

Decorating By geekswife Updated 20 Feb 2009 , 8:01pm by millermom

geekswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
geekswife Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 6

Hello all-
I new to both cake central AND cake decorating in general. I was wondering if anyone has a trick/ tip for coloring prepared white fondant (the wilton brand). I have tried a few times and it is both messy and very difficult. I think I am doing something wrong. icon_redface.gif

Any help would be WONDERFUL!!!

Thanks so very much

5 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 6

I use Americolors so it is really easy.I just flip open the top and squirt a bit out on the fondant.Make sure your work area is dusted really good with icing sugar as the fondant gets sticky when kneading in the coloring.Keep adding more if it is sticky and keep your hands dusty also..this helps alot.Knead it like dough and after a while it is all even.

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 6

Sometimes it helps to work the color into a golf ball piece size of fondant (or even smaller piece), in a concentrated level. Then pinch off some colored fondant and knead that into the wjite fondant. It seems to knead in better and doesn't streak as much. Also, it is a good way to insure that you do not get too much color in your fondant, especially if you are wanting a pastel color.

ssunshine564 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssunshine564 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 6

I use Americolors too when I have a small amount to color. If I need a large amount I just airbrush my cake after I cover it-thus skipping the colored hands thing. thumbs_up.gif I also purchase Pre-Colored Stain Ice. I get it from www.intotheoven.com

Daytona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daytona Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 7:59pm
post #5 of 6

I take a little piece of my fondant and put paste color in it then work the color through till it is all mix in than add it to the larger piece your are working with and add more color to that if you want a darker color

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 8:01pm
post #6 of 6

I make sure my hands are coated with shortening so that they don't get stained with the color

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%