Mmf With Gumtex Added Won't Harden

Decorating By shannonlovebug Updated 22 Feb 2009 , 8:50pm by SweetStuff30

shannonlovebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonlovebug Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 6:32pm
post #1 of 6

I am trying to make the roses for my Wilton course 3 final cake and the cone centers didn't get hard, even after 24 hours. When I try to make the petals they won't hold their shape either...too soft. What did I do wrong? Did I not add enough gumtex? Did something go wrong with my MMF? Is there a better way of doing the roses? Maybe something other than gumtex?
Please HELP!! I'm a huge perfectionist so I NEED to get this right icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
rkljazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkljazz Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 6

sorry it's giving you so much trouble. I've tried adding gum tex to MMF before and it never worked. The MMF just doesn't roll thin enough or dry hard enough to make flowers. For fine details I use Wilton ready made fondant. But for covering a cake I use MMF.

babycakes73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babycakes73 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 6

Yes I too have tried this and mine never hardened all the way either, I thinkyou need all gunpaste, though I could be wrong.

SweetStuff30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetStuff30 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 10:12pm
post #4 of 6

I used 50/50 gumpaste (premade stuff from micheals) and mmf and it worked great. I just weighted it on a scale so that they were exact.

shannonlovebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonlovebug Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 8:24pm
post #5 of 6

Aleesha...Thanks for the tip. I tried the gumpaste/Fondant mixture and it turned out perfect! My roses hardened and they were easy to roll out and form. THANK YOU!!!

Still don't understand why Wilton has you add gumtex if it doesn't work...ohwell, now I know.

SweetStuff30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetStuff30 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 8:50pm
post #6 of 6

Im glad it worked out for you!!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%