Please Help. Need Nice Stiff Whipped Cream For Piping.

Baking By ccarroca Updated 10 Jan 2013 , 7:41pm by Justalittlesugar

ccarroca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccarroca Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 5:25am
post #1 of 8

Looking to make both an Italian rum cake and a strawberry filled sponge cake with whipped cream. You know those cakes you get at Italian bakeries? How are they doing that yummy cream. I whip my heavy cream pretty stiff and add in my powdered sugar and vanilla, but something isn't right. Do I HAVE to use a stabilized whipped cream recipe. I have never tried one and maybe that is the difference. Any input would be helpful - THANKS

7 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 11:25pm
post #2 of 8

They might not be using real whipped cream, but a whipped cream like product instead.

The easiest way to stabilize whipped cream is to add Dr. Oetker's Whip It to the cream before you start whipping. If you don't have Dr. Oetker brand products in your local store, you can order them online at: http://www.oetker.us/en/on-line-store

According to Rose Levy Berenbaum, if you make the whipped cream in a food processor instead of in a mixer, it will come out thick enough to pipe, but I have not tried it.

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 11:35pm
post #3 of 8

You can also add a package of instant pudding to 3 cups of real whipping cream and get a very nice consistency for frosting and piping borders etc. Whip up the cream with the pudding till very thick....AND leftovers keepin the refrigerator without separating.

Cookie45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie45 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 8

Here's how I make a cream stiff enough for piping and it holds shape beautifully. 3 oz. cream cheese, softened, 1 cup confectioners sugar, and 24 oz. Cool Whip.

Make sure cream cheese is room temp and beat well. Add confectioners sugar and beat. There should be no lumps. Then fold in the Coool Whip. Refrigerate to firm up and pipe on cake.

I use this for dessert that needs whipped cream. It holds its shape and tastes great and doesn't deflate like unstablized whipped cream would.

Hope this helps!!

Tatti74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tatti74 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 11:59pm
post #5 of 8

A friend of mine gave me these tips to prevent Whipped Cream from weeping so it can be nice and stiff
1) Use a chilled stainless steel bowl for whipping cream; Place the clean bowl & beaters in the freezer for 15 minutes before whipping cream.
3) Whipped cream frosting for cakes is: Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of instant dry vanilla pudding mix as you are beating the cream. It will add flavor and texture to the cream.
4) Beat heavy cream with some confectioners' sugar. And use 2 tablespoons of confectioners' sugar per cup of heavy whipping cream to help stabilize the whipped cream.
5) Beat in 1/4 teaspoon unflavored gelatin per cup of whipping cream to help stabilize it. Gelatin gives whipping cream a firm, mousse-like texture giving it many uses.
6) Add a teaspoon of cream of tartar to chilled heavy cream, whipping cream, or double cream to help it whip well. I USE THIS ONE, (works for me)
icon_cool.gif Use of Piping Gel for Stabilizing Whipped Cream: Add 2 tablespoons of piping gel to 1 cup liquid heavy whipping cream or double cream, and 1/4 cup confectioners sugar.

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:42am
post #6 of 8

Wow Tatti, those are some great tips! You could try using Bettercreme too.

ILE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILE Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 3:07am
post #7 of 8

thank you Tatti74...great info

Justalittlesugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justalittlesugar Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 7:41pm
post #8 of 8

ACan you mix buttercream and whipped cream without messing up either?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%