Gumpaste Or Fondant With Tylose?

Decorating By Rylan Updated 26 Feb 2009 , 4:04am by conchita

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 11:44pm
post #1 of 9

I was wondering if there are any differences between Satin Ice gumpaste and Satin Ice Fondant mixed with tylose powder to make gumpaste. I wanted to make realistic looking flowers and I don't know which to use, whether the consistency is alike or whether I can roll it thin enough. For me, fondant mixed with tylose seem cheaper, but would it have good texture for flowers? I hope someone can help. Thanks.

8 replies
toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 11:50pm
post #2 of 9

For flowers, you should use gumpaste. You can roll it much thinner to make realistic petals. HTH!

Rylan Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 1:20am
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodlesjupiter

For flowers, you should use gumpaste. You can roll it much thinner to make realistic petals. HTH!

THANKS A LOT!!

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 1:32am
post #4 of 9

I use Nicholas Lodge recipe for gumpaste. It's awesome. Inexpensive to make. Check it out at his website. www.nicholaslodge.com
HTH

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 2:14am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tannersmom

I use Nicholas Lodge recipe for gumpaste. It's awesome. Inexpensive to make. Check it out at his website. www.nicholaslodge.com
HTH

Ditto!! That is what I use thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif for flowers, figures and all kind of decorations , you can see in my gallery my calla and roses I love that gumpaste, awesome and as annersmom saidinexpensive to make thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 2:39am
post #6 of 9

I actually exclusively used to use Nick Lodge's gumpaste recipe until recently. I now use a 50/50 mix of either Wilton or Satin Ice fondant and Nick's gumpaste. The result is a stronger flower, without losing ANY ability to roll it out super-thin and thin/ruffle petals.

I made a bunch of 50/50 roses and when I put them on the cake, I needed just one more to fill in a spot. Well, I had some that I had previously made with gumpaste, so I grabbed one and proceeded to start dusting it with petal dust. PLINK - broken petal. I was really amazed at how much stronger the 50/50 flowers were....and so now that's all I use. icon_smile.gif

Rylan Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 9:25am
post #7 of 9

Thanks guys for the replies. I REALLY REALLY appreciate it. I wanted to use the nicholas lodge recipe but I don't really want to use real egg whites. Other than that recipe, what do you think is the best gumpaste brand or mixture of bramds to use for making realistic looking flowers? Something that can be rolled out really thin and also strong.

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 2:02am
post #8 of 9

I use the Wilton brand gum paste. Used to buy the powder mix and make it that way until they came up with the ready made packaged stuff. Alot of people don't like it but I've never had a problem with it and with the coupons every week in the newspapers - it's really cheap. I did the rose in my pix with it and it rolled paper thin. Just my opinion thumbs_up.gif

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:04am
post #9 of 9

thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%